We are active deal makers. We are experienced in representing portfolio companies and investors in connection with Venture Capital and Emerging Growth investments.
We are unique. We provide extraordinary industry experience to our clients that we seamlessly coordinate to optimize outcomes.
We are respectful. We prioritize understanding your business, your long-term strategic and financial goals and achieving them on your timeline within your budget. With that understanding, we provide seasoned legal counsel that takes into account changing legal landscapes, alternative strategies and market conditions — factors key to successful outcomes.
What We Have Done:
To best understand what it would be like to work with Locke Lord, the following represent some recently completed engagements, including:
- Represented the energy division of a $10B privately held international corporation investing in alternative energy technologies in its joint venture to develop a technology used in connection with heavy manufacturing
- Represented a company that developed and commercialized a virtual-reality technology in connection with its issuance of multiple series of preferred stock, including a recapitalization to allow institutional investors, such as Intel Capital and Accenture, to invest therein. Provided specific advice regarding augmentation of management team, establishment of employee stock incentive plan and intellectual property protection as well as strategic introductions to new customers
- Represented an investor syndicate in connection with Series B Preferred Stock and Series C Preferred Stock offerings to an AI-based company providing Explainable AI and Machine Learning for Marketing and Fraud detection to American Express, Accenture, SalesForce and other Fortune 200 companies. Provided forensic guidance on a number of issues, including tax, employee benefits, corporate governance and integration of foreign operations
What We Do:
We are deeply embedded in the venture capital and emerging growth community, including:
- Counsel to IrishAngels (the University of Notre Dame du Lac Investment Group), including formation of the investment entities, due diligence, negotiation and drafting of the investment documents for Series A Preferred Stock and follow-on rounds, such as Series B Preferred Stock. To date, Locke Lord has represented these groups in their investments in more than 60 companies in energy, technology, software, retail, health care, financial services and InsurTech
- The Florida Venture Forum, a state-wide member organization that helps entrepreneurs obtain funding through education, strategic partnering and effective networking
- The Hartford Hub and other InsurTech accelerators where we have coached and later become counsel to companies engaged in disruptive technologies deployed in the insurance and financial services industries
- Technology Transfer Office of University of Florida (Gainesville) in a joint effort to commercialize university technology through for-profit entrepreneurial startups
- LabCentral, a first-of-its-kind shared laboratory space designed as a launchpad for high-potential life sciences and biotech startups
- CleanTech Invest, sponsored by the Clean Energy Trust, which sponsors clean energy and resource efficient startups and Start-Up Bootcamp, an InsurTech accelerator which operates in multiple cities, including Chicago, Hartford, Austin and New York
- Betaspring, a mentorship-driven startup accelerator program for technology and design entrepreneurs who are ready to launch a company and change the world