Locke Lord’s InsurTech practice advises both traditional and startup insurance industry clients across a broad spectrum, including on insurance and reinsurance regulation, fund formation, private equity and venture capital, mergers and acquisitions, data privacy and security, intellectual property protection, blockchain, electronic commerce, payment systems, and artificial intelligence and other technologies. We couple our representation of companies with cutting-edge, technological innovations that are revolutionizing the industry with 100-plus years of experience serving insurance clients around the United States and the world.
Locke Lord has been involved with several InsurTech hubs, selecting, mentoring and serving as a resource to the hubs and their cohorts. Locke Lord’s InsurTech lawyers provide legal and strategic support to Nassau Re’s InsurTech incubator, Nassau Re/Imagine, which supports selected startups focused in the life insurance, annuity and reinsurance industries. We are members of the Chamber of Digital Commerce, an advocacy group that promotes the emerging industry behind blockchain technology, bitcoin, digital currency and digital assets.
Members of our team have presented at major InsurTech conferences, including InsurTech Connect, InsurTech NY, OnRamp, Insurtech on the Silicon Prairie, Silicon Valley Insurance Accelerator (SVIA) and others.
Our experience includes:
- Represented a tech-driven health insurance company in a joint venture with a leading global health service company. The new company will jointly provide fully insured health benefits to the small group market, and share risk thereon through reinsurance
- Provided intellectual property, privacy and commercial contracting counsel to an InsurTech startup offering an artificial intelligence solution that reduces the cost of underwriting property and other lines of insurance
- Organized and provided regulatory advice to an InsurTech startup insurer engaged in underwriting personal lines property and casualty insurance
- Represented InsurTech company in a dispute with insurance company underwriting the InsurTech’s book of business covering hundreds of thousands of rental properties
- Represented four international and national property and casualty insurers in regulatory matters involving the use of predictive modeling in underwriting and pricing personal lines and commercial property and casualty products
- Represented international life reinsurer in its investment in two InsurTech life insurance agencies
- Represented global insurer and reinsurer in creating data lakes for the purposes of consolidating and conforming the format of data collected by various affiliates in many jurisdictions, improving the delivery of products and services and performing data analytics in compliance with U.S. and EU restrictions and requirements related to collection, transfer, use and protection of personal data and other sensitive information
- Licensed and provided regulatory advice to an InsurTech startup insurer engaged in underwriting title insurance
- Advised a national insurer in connection with its engagement of technology providers, including in connection with tracking and management of data in compliance with U.S. and EU privacy and data protection requirements
- Represented a private equity firm with respect to an investment in software and hardware for metadata use in the commercial auto space and advised as to the regulatory issues regarding the use of metadata
- Advised insurers in investments in the InsurTech space relating to the use of technology in claims handling and underwriting
- Advised insurers and brokers with respect to app-based sale of insurance products
- Advised insurers on digital launch of numerous products
- Partnered with Milliman to deliver presentations to insurers on predictive modeling in underwriting and pricing
- Represented telematics-based private passenger and commercial auto insurance managing general agents
- Represented technology company providing blockchain-based certificates of insurance
- Advised insurers and private equity firms on regulatory issues regarding use of telematics
- Represented InsurTech managing general agent for insurance product alternative to apartment rental deposits
- Represented cryptocurrency insurance managing general agent
- Represented InsurTech insurance agency for healthy lifestyles life insurance products
- Assisted a global insurance group in establishing a surplus lines drone insurance program and provided regulatory advice on a myriad of surplus lines regulatory issues as they relate to the placement of drone insurance, including advertising issues, cancellation and nonrenewal issues, surplus lines disclosures, premium calculation, claims handling and privacy issues
Read our InsurTech posts on our InsureReinsure Blog for the latest news and developments.