Charles Phipps is dedicated to providing responsive and practical advice to his clients on all intellectual property matters, including patents, trademarks, trade secrets, copyrights, software and related contracts. Over 22 years, Charles represents his clients in litigation matters in U.S. District Courts and adversarial proceedings before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office both as plaintiff's counsel and as defense counsel. His patent litigation experience spans across numerous technologies and industries. Charles is a Co-Chair of Locke Lord's Intellectual Property Litigation Practice Group.
Charles has substantial experience establishing and maintaining international patent and trademark portfolios. He authors and responds to demand letters concerning intellectual property issues, routinely drafts and negotiates contracts and license agreements, including those relating to patents, trademarks and software. He seeks to address legal issues in their actual commercial context to achieve the best results for his clients.
Patent Litigation. Charles is currently representing corporations, including major banks, investment holding companies and telecommunications firms in patent cases involving allegations of patent infringement.
Patent and Trademark Portfolio Management, Development and Enforcement. He obtains, enforces, litigates and licenses all types of intellectual property for clients and also registers trademarks and copyrights.
Technology. His practice covers a broad range of technical fields, including aerospace, chemistry, computer systems, consumer products, cosmetics, encryption, financial services, internet and e-commerce, medical devices, military applications, nanotechnology, pharmaceuticals, semiconductor manufacturing, security systems, software, sports equipment and telecommunications.
Charles’ representative experience includes:
- Repeat Precision, LLC v. Diamondback Industries, Inc., 6:19-cv-00036-ADA (W.D. Tex.) (represented plaintff in patent litigation matter pending before Judge Alan D Albright; plaintiff won at trial, receiving a damages award of over $40 million and a permanent injunction)
- CloudofChange, LLC v. NCR Corporation, 6-19-cv-00513-ADA (W.D. Tex.) (representing NCR Corporation in patent case pending before Judge Alan D Albright)
- EmeraChem Holdings, LLC v. Volkswagen Group of America, Inc., et al., 3:14-cv-00132-PLR-HBG (E.D. Tenn.) (representing Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. in patent case pending before Judge Pamela L. Reeves and Magistrate Judge H. Bruce Guyton)
- Noblr, Inc. v. Nobl Insurance LLC, 1:19-cv-01314-RGA-SRF (D. Del.)(representing defendant in trademark case before Judge Richard G. Andrews and Magistrate Judge Sherry R. Fallon).
- Lumetique, Inc. v. Lisa Hoffman Beauty, 2:12-cv-00051-JRG-RSP (E.D. Tex.) (represented Lisa Hoffman Beauty in this patent litigation matter pending before Judge Rodney Gilstrap and Magistrate Judge Roy Payne)
- All-American Packaging, LLC v. Keurig Green Mountain, Inc. and Westrock Company, 6:17-cv-00214-RWS-KNM (Tyler) (representing defendants in this patent litigation matter pending before Judge Schroeder and Magistrate Judge K. Nicole Mitchell)
- Sycamore IP Holdings LLC v. Xtera Communications, Inc., 2-15-cv-00335-JRG (E.D. Tex.) (represented Xtera Communications in this patent case before Judge Gilstrap)
- Corning Optical Comm. LLC v. Comm. Sys. Inc., 3:14-cv-2067-K (N.D. Tex.) (represented Plaintiff Corning Optical in a patent infringement case before Judge Ed Kinkeade)
- Lodsys v. The Walt Disney Company, 2:13-cv-256-JRG (E.D. Tex) (represented The Walt Disney Company in patent litigation pending before Judge Rodney Gilstrap,)
- U.S. Ethernet Innovations, LLC v. Xerox Corporation, 6:12-cv-237-LED (E.D. Tex.) (represented Xerox Corporation in patent case pending before Judge Leonard Davis,) (Mediated before Jim Knowles)
- TQP Development, LLC v. Branch Banking & Trust Company, 2:12-cv-55-MHS-CMC (E. D. Tex.) (represented Defendant BB&T in patent case pending before Judge Michael H. Schneider) (Obtained Dismissal With Prejudice in favor of BB&T) (Mediated before Judge Robert Faulkner)
- TQP Development, LLC v. U.S. Airways, 2:11-cv-398-MHS-CMC (E. D. Tex.) (representing Defendant U.S. Airways in patent case pending before Judge Michael H. Schneider)
- Main Hastings LLC v. Berkshire Hathaway, Inc.; The Pampered Chef, LTD.; Russell Brands, LLC, a.k.a. Russell Corporation (d.b.a. Spalding); The Scott Fetzer Company; and Wayne/Scott FetzerCompany (d.b.a. Wayne Combustion Systems), 2:10-cv-00548 (E.D. Tex.) (representing Berkshire Hathaway and all other defendants in patent case)
- Francesca's Collections Inc. v. Medina et al., 4:11-cv-00307 (S.D. Tex.) (representing plaintiff in this trademark infringement case) (Judge Ewing Werlein, Jr.)
- TQP Development, LLC v. DHL Express (USA), Inc., , 2:09-cv-0279-TJW (E.D. Tex.) (representing DHL in this multi-defendant patent case)
- Main Hastings LLC v. Citigroup, Inc., 2:11-cv-00023-TJW-CE (E.D. Tex.) (representing defendant Citigroup)
- Fast Memory Erase, LLC v. Spansion, Inc., 3-08cv0977M (N.D. Tex.) (representing Spansion in multi-patent case before Judge Barbara M.G. Lynn)
- Brink's Home Security, Inc. v. APX, 4:06-cv-2754 (S.D. Tex.) (representing Brink’s Home Security in this trademark case before Judge Vanessa Gilmore)
- American Safety Razor Company L.L.C. v. Dorco, USA, INC. and Pace Shave Incorporated, 9:07-cv-00229-RHC (E.D. Tex.) (representing defendant in case before Judge Ron Clark)
- Southwest Egg Replacements v. Big Dutchman, Inc. and Big Dutchman Gmbh, 3:08-CV-0037-M (N.D. Tex.) (representing defendant in patent case before Judge Barbara M.G. Lynn)
- Corporate Safe Specialists, Inc. v. Tidel Technologies, Inc., Tidel Engineering, L.P., 3:05-CV-1767-K (N.D. Tex.) (representing defendants in multi-patent case before Judge Ed Kinkeade)
- Fire King v. Corp. Safe and Tidel, 4:09-cv-00148-RAS (E.D. Tex.) (represeting defendant Tidel in patent case before Judge Richard A. Schell)
- Ultimate Living Int'l., Inc. v. Miracle Green, 3:05CV1745-M (N. D. Tex.) (representing plaintiff in trademark case before Judge Barbara M.G. Lynn)
- O2 Micro International Limited v. Monolithic Power Systems, Inc., C-04-2000 CW (N.D. Cal.) (patent case before Judge Claudia Wilken)
- Richard Olivadoti v. The Bramton Company, 05CV-9267 (LAP) (S.D.N.Y.) (represetning defendant in patent case before Judge Loretta A. Preska)