Christopher M. Flanagan is Chair of the Business Transactions Group. Chris' general corporate and partnership tax practice focuses on tax planning and analysis in the transactional area. He has particular experience in representing public and private companies in taxable and tax-free acquisitions and divestitures of corporate subsidiaries and divisions, and in reorganizations and restructurings.
Chris also represents companies in the structuring and formation of major corporate joint ventures, limited liability companies and large venture capital/private equity funds as well as advising companies on the tax issues attendant to both public and private debt and equity offerings.
Chris also has extensive experience in the taxation of insurance companies and insurance products, and works extensively with the Insurance and Reinsurance Department on both transactions involving the acquisition and divestiture of insurance companies and the structuring of insurance related investments. Chris also has experience in the creation and taxation of captive insurance arrangements, and has authored articles on the topic.
Chris worked in New York City in the tax groups of both a major public accounting and a law firm. Chris was also a partner in Palmer & Dodge LLP, a predecessor firm of Locke Lord.
Chris' representative experience includes:
- Advised both public and private companies in taxable and tax-free corporate acquisitions and divestitures
- Assisted numerous venture capital, private equity and hedge funds in organizing new funds and making investments in portfolio companies
- Assisted companies and individuals with the formation of and investment in joint ventures conducting both investment activities and business operations as well as the acquisitions and divestitures of such entities
- Advised companies on general tax and reporting issues related to their transactions
Chris’ experience includes tax work in connection with the representation of:
- Becklar, LLC, parent company of both AvantGuard Monitoring Centers and Freeus, in a completed investment transaction with BV Investment Partners
- iA Financial Group in the completed acquisition of Austin-based IAS Parent Holdings, Inc., and its subsidiaries for a total enterprise value of $720 million, following a competitive auction process
- Palladium Equity Partners, LLC, in the completed sale of the parent company of DolEx Dollar Express, Inc., to a group of investors, including management
- CopperPoint Insurance Group, a mutual holding company, in the completed $900 million acquisition of the privately held parent company of workers’ compensation and liability insurer Alaska National Insurance Company
- An affiliate of Nautic Partners, LLC, in its acquisition of Spartech LLC, in partnership with Spartech management, from private equity owner Arsenal Capital Partners
- PTC Inc. in its acquisition of Onshape Inc. for approximately $470 million in cash, net of cash acquired
- Vericity, Inc., in its $150 million initial public offering of common stock
- Silver Oak Services Partners, a lower middle market private equity firm, in the recapitalization of Keystone Partners, a leading provider of comprehensive outplacement, career management, executive coaching and leadership development services
- MVC Private Equity Fund, L.P., in the sale of its portfolio company Plymouth Rock Energy, a leading retail energy provider of natural gas and electricity, to ENGIE Resources
- Prospect Partners in an add-on acquisition by its portfolio company Owen Equipment of Legacy Equipment Company, a supplier of street sweepers, sewer cleaning equipment, refuse and mechanic trucks and snow removal equipment
- Prospect Partners in the sale of its portfolio company Owen Equipment, a specialty equipment platform providing critical infrastructure solutions to municipal, utility and commercial customers, to CenterGate Capital
- Pronto Insurance, a portfolio company held by a private equity fund affiliated with Palladium Equity Partners, LLC, in its sale to Risk Placement Services Inc., a unit of Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.
- Silver Oak Services Partners, LLC, a lower-middle market private equity firm focused exclusively on business, health care and consumer services companies, in its sale of The Tranzonic Companies to PNC Riverarch Capital