In the area of civil antitrust litigation, Locke Lord has represented defendants in some of the largest antitrust class action cases pending around the country. We also have represented plaintiffs in seeking affirmative relief for anticompetitive conduct by suppliers, distributors and other competitors. A sampling of these cases includes:
- In re Domestic Drywall Antitrust Litigation. Currently representing a defendant drywall manufacturer in class action price-fixing litigation arising out of the alleged conspiracy by U.S. drywall manufacturers to raise the prices of drywall. This MDL litigation is pending in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
- In re Titanium Dioxide Antitrust Litigation. Represented a defendant titanium dioxide manufacturer in three separate price-fixing cases against the leading manufacturers of titanium dioxide in the United States. These cases were pending in the U.S. District Courts in Maryland, the Southern District of Texas and the Northern District of California.
- In re Auto Body Shop Antitrust Litigation. Currently representing a major auto insurer in class action price-fixing litigation arising out of the alleged conspiracy by numerous auto insurers to drive down the prices they pay for auto body repairs by agreeing on preset “market rates,” enforcing compliance by steering insureds to businesses that agree to their terms, and boycotting those that refuse. This MDL litigation is pending in the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida.
- In re Liquid Aluminum Sulfate Antitrust Litigation. Represented a defendant chemical company and one of its senior executives, who were named as defendants in various cases involving claims of alleged price fixing and bid rigging for the sale of liquid aluminum sulfate (alum). The MDL litigation was consolidated in the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey, and related state court actions involving False Claim Act statutes were filed in Illinois, North Carolina and Virginia. Our clients were dismissed from each of these cases.
- In re Online Travel Company (OTC)/Hotel Booking Antitrust Litigation. Represented two affiliated online travel reservation companies in a class action price-fixing case against all of the major online travel reservation companies and most of the major hotel chains. The plaintiffs alleged that the defendants conspired to fix the rates for hotel rooms that are booked using online travel reservation websites. In 2014, the district court granted the defendants’ motion to dismiss the plaintiffs’ complaint and later entered a Final Judgment dismissing the case. This MDL litigation was consolidated in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas.