Locke Lord’s Public Finance Practice Group is a premier, nationally-recognized public finance practice, with over 130 years of involvement in the law of public borrowing and the federal tax and securities aspects of public debt obligations. Our experience, expertise and exemplary client service have earned us recognition as one of the foremost public finance law firms in the country.
We are consistently ranked among the top public finance practices nationally.
- Locke Lord was ranked fourth top bond counsel for competitive issues in The Bond Buyer’s H1 2020 Top Bond Counsel rankings with 73 issues totaling $1.48 billion.
- The Firm was also ranked fifth on the Top Underwriter’s Counsel List for H1 2020 with 35 issues totaling $5.98 billion.
- Additionally, the Firm ranked second for private bond counsel nationally in H1 2020.
- In The Bond Buyer's Full Year 2019 National Rankings, the Firm ranked 13th overall among bond counsel firms.
- In The Bond Buyer’s 2019 Northeast Yearend Review, the Public Finance Team ranked fourth top bond counsel overall in the Northeast and top bond counsel in Massachusetts and Vermont.
The Firm’s public finance lawyers have extensive experience nationwide serving as bond counsel, disclosure counsel, underwriters’ counsel, issuer’s counsel, borrower’s counsel, bank counsel, special tax counsel and trustee’s counsel representing the full range of governmental and quasi-governmental issuers, special purpose entities, tax-exempt organizations and other entities and financial institutions. Locke Lord’s public finance lawyers are active in many states across the country and our clients include virtually every type of issuer in the municipal bond market, ranging from states, cities and towns, and numerous other governmental entities and conduit issuers and borrowers including, educational and healthcare institutions. The Firm’s Public Finance Practice Group has one of the largest bond counsel practices in the country.
Each year Locke Lord is an integral participant in hundreds of separate issues of tax-exempt bonds and notes totaling billions of dollars. This high volume of public finance work spans the full range of tax-exempt debt issues, including work with all different types of:
- Governmental issuers (from states to school districts to special independent authorities, from cities to counties, and from transportation agencies to towns)
- Public purposes (from schools to sewers, stadiums to solid waste facilities, convention centers to commercial, industrial and manufacturing facilities, housing to hospitals, arenas to airports, and colleges to charitable organizations)
- Credits and security structures (from highly rated state or university borrowers to unrated small towns or manufacturers, from general to special obligation debt, from traditional governmental debt to conduit and P3/project finance arrangements, and credit enhancements from bond insurance to letters of credit)
- Debt instruments (from short-term notes to long-term bonds, fixed or variable rate interest to derivative instruments, and capital leases to commercial paper programs)
We are frequently asked to draft legislation relating to the establishment of governmental entities and the issuance of their debt. Members of the Firm also play a lead role in nationally organized efforts of bond lawyers and other industry participants to stay informed about and involved with changes in federal tax law, securities law and other aspects of the issuance of public debt, including in our members a past President of the National Association of Bond Lawyers.
The Firm was ranked as a Metropolitan Tier 1 Firm in the 2020 edition of the Best Lawyers in America publication and as #11 in the nation as bond counsel in 2017 by The American Lawyer Corporate Scorecard. The Firm’s Public Finance practice is also ranked in Band 1, which is the highest ranking available, in Massachusetts by Chambers USA. Moreover, in recent years, the Firm has served as bond counsel to:
- Southeast Regional Finalist for The Bond Buyer’s “2019 National Deal of the Year”
- Non-Traditional Financing Finalist for The Bond Buyer’s “2017 National Deal of the Year”
- Northeast Regional Finalist for The Bond Buyer’s “2012 National Deal of the Year”
- Southeast Regional Finalist for The Bond Buyer’s “2012 National Deal of the Year”
- Winner of The Bond Buyer’s “2011 National Deal of the Year”
The Firm also served as underwriters’ counsel to:
- Southwest Regional Finalist for The Bond Buyer’s “2017 National Deal of the Year”
- Southwest Regional Finalist for The Bond Buyer’s “2016 National Deal of the Year”
- Winner of The Bond Buyer’s “2014 Deal of the Year”
- Winner of The Bond Buyer’s “2013 Healthcare Deal of the Year”