Printer Friendly Version
Our China Practice offers an experienced team of legal professionals dedicated to helping international companies successfully carry on business in China as well as advising Chinese companies on their international operations and outbound investments.
Through our dedicated team of lawyers in Hong Kong, and our U.S. and our London-based offices, Locke Lord's China practice offers practical and useful advice and responsive assistance in navigating the challenges of competing in an international market as challenging and complex as China. We represent clients ranging from middle-market, privately held companies to large public entities, and we help those clients as they structure, negotiate and document China-related transactions. Our lawyers travel extensively throughout China in order to meet with and represent our clients as they pursue their business expansion plans and maintain their competitive edge.
We regularly counsel clients on a wide range of issues in China, including capital structure, governance, operating control, intellectual property rights, customs, tax and employment law. Our lawyers have valuable experience working with government officials throughout China, allowing us to help our clients navigate China’s ever-changing regulatory environment, where local customs and practices can vary significantly.
Our established network of experienced and reliable China-based service providers, including Chinese law firms able to serve as "local counsel," if necessary, enables us to help produce complete Chinese business and legal solutions. Together we provide reliable, cost-effective solutions to problems involving regulatory compliance, tax, finance, governmental relations, import/export, construction, human resources and operational issues.
Outbound China Practice
Locke Lord provides its Chinese clients with a multi-disciplined team, with qualifications from a number of different jurisdictions, that has broad and deep experience in handling legal issues arising in China-U.S. and China-UK cross-border transactions. This experience includes crafting solutions for our Chinese clients in:
- Capital markets (going public, going private and capital raising) and Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) enforcement and compliance
- Commercial litigation and arbitration
- Government relations
- Immigration and employment-based visas
- Intellectual property, technology and export and import control regulations
- Mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and corporate transactions
- Private Equity and Venture Capital
- Real estate and real estate investment trusts
- Tax planning
We provide our services to Chinese clients with the bilingual capabilities of native Chinese speakers and a deep, personal knowledge and understanding of the important cultural factors that can lead to the desired results in international transactions.
Our Chinese clients include leaders in every sector of the economy:
- Numerous state-owned energy and petrochemical companies
- Private and public companies in high profile industry sectors such as automotive, electronics, telecommunications, pharmaceuticals, infrastructure, energy, water, natural resources, real estate, aviation and agriculture
- Individual Chinese investors and executives
Our lawyers are accustomed to advising on cross-border transactions in the Asian marketplace and have years of experience advising Chinese companies. Our Hong Kong team collaborates closely with lawyers in Locke Lord's 19 other offices, a network that provides an ideal strategic support system for Chinese companies doing business in the world’s industrial and financial centers.
Inbound China Practice
We help international companies in China as they:
- Establish strategic alliances and joint ventures for manufacturing, distribution and other purposes
- Form wholly-owned manufacturing or other business operations
- Engage in merger and acquisition transactions
- Dissolve and liquidate China-based subsidiaries
- Structure debt and equity financings
- Negotiate land use right purchase transactions and engage in construction-related arrangements
- Deal with various government agencies in connection with operationally-related legal and business issues
- Address product import, export and customs related issues
- Obtain local product registrations and certifications for pharmaceuticals, medical devices, food products and electro-mechanical devices
- Formulate and implement intellectual property protection strategies, as well as deal with trademark, patent applications, copyright (including software) registrations and domain name registrations
- Enter into transactional IP agreements including assignments, licences, advertising agreements, website agreements, technology transfer and franchising arrangements
- Deal with foreign exchange control issues, including repatriation of profits, expense reimbursement and payments of royalties and other fees
- Address the transportation, logistics and other legal aspects of sourcing-related matters
- Implement their arbitration and litigation strategies (with the assistance of local Chinese law firms)
Our team of practitioners is experienced in advising senior management, business owners and private equity funds on China market entry strategies, acquisitions and post-acquisition arrangements, restructurings, China business consolidations, downsizings, regulatory compliance and enforcement actions as well as the myriad legal issues that overseas companies encounter when doing business in China, ranging from IP infringement and employment disputes to corruption and fraud investigations.
Our China Practice covers cross-border investments, mergers and acquisitions and reorganizations in China and Hong Kong, across a range of industries including aerospace, healthcare, pharmaceuticals and biotechnology, specialty chemicals, distribution and retail, franchising and financial services.