Ann Walsh is a trial attorney with the litigation department. She is the practice group leader for Locke Lord's Product Liability practice group and a member of the Firm's class action practice group. For more than 30 years, Ann has practiced in the trial area focusing on product liability and commercial litigation. She regularly represents clients in a variety of commercial disputes, including breach of contract, contract terminations and warranty disputes and has defended motions for temporary restraining orders and preliminary injunction. Ann also provides counsel on contract negotiations to clients.
Ann also has defended major manufacturers of a broad variety of products, including automotive, agricultural, plumbing, HVAC, construction, consumer, pharmaceutical, food and beverage, electrical, mining, recreational, chemical, industrial and other products. She has counseled manufacturers with respect to product liability prevention, regulatory compliance and recalls as well as product warnings and labels. In addition, she has participated in numerous root cause analyses investigating the cause of failures in a variety of industries. She has been involved in representing and counseling pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers throughout the country in cases involving drug packaging, adverse experience reporting requirements and warnings.
Ann's experience includes trials, alternative dispute resolutions and appeals in a large number of jurisdictions where she acts as lead trial counsel. To date, Ann has handled cases in more than 40 states. She also has acted as national, regional and local counsel in nationwide litigation.
Ann has spoken at the Defense Research Institute Conference on cost-effective management of discovery.
Ann is Co-Chair of the Firm's Pro Bono Committee and handles and supervises a variety of pro bono projects and cases. Ann was recently awarded a Certificate of Merit by the Chicago Lighthouse for the Blind Kane Legal Clinic.
- Product liability counsel for a major manufacturer and distributor of plumbing and HVAC products including copper tube, valves, fittings, plastic products, and other components.
- National counsel with one other attorney for major automotive parts supplier in cases involving complex mechanical and electrical products and often catastrophic injuries or death. Lead attorney for all cases in half of the country. Developed database and program for an efficient approach to written discovery, expert testimony, legal issues, and key trial issues.
- Tried numerous product liability cases to defense verdict.
- Lead trial attorney on behalf of a variety of product manufacturers resulting in defense verdicts or nominal settlements, including trials involving issues of crashworthiness, airbag design, sensor technology, unwanted acceleration, vehicle handling, pharmaceutical warnings, and contaminated food and beverage.
- Represented a parts supplier in a breach of contract suit relating to manufacturer's early termination of a supply contract and defended against a motion for a temporary restraining order.
- Prosecuted and defended warranty claims arising from products in a variety of industries.
- National counsel for a mining company in its silicosis litigation and supervised the development and publishing of cutting-edge scientific work for use in the defense of the litigation.
- Product liability counseling to major food processing equipment company, consumer goods retailer and automotive parts supplier manufacturers, including product liability prevention and regulatory compliance.
- Conducted food recalls on behalf of food & beverage manufacturers, retailers and distributors.
- Regional counsel for product manufacturer in its asbestos litigation.
- Handled several matters involving marine products including engines, intermodal tank containers, transmissions, cargo slings etc. in both domestic and international applications.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a consumer product manufacturer for plaintiff's failure to properly preserve the evidence. Summary judgment affirmed on appeal and established the law in Wisconsin on spoliation of evidence in a product liability case.
- Represented a generic pharmaceutical manufacturer in a case involving catastrophic injuries and developed a manufacturer identification defense.
- Handled appeals in numerous states after defense verdicts or summary judgments for our client.
- Partner, Locke Lord LLP
- Practice Group Leader, Product Liability
- Co-Chair, Locke Lord Pro Bono Committee
Professional Affiliations and Recognitions
- Recognized, Illinois Super Lawyers (2012-2015)
- A.V. Peer Review Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Named, Leading Lawyer (Products Liability Defense Law)
- Certificate of Merit (for pro bono work), Chicago Lighthouse for the Blind
- Member, Chicago Bar Association
- Member, Women's Bar Association of Illinois
- Member, Defense Research Institute
- Co-Chair of Leadership Council, National Immigrant Justice Center
- Board of Directors, Center for Disability and Elder Law
- Past President, Western Springs Foundation for Education Excellence
- St. John of the Cross, religious education instructor for 16 years