David Van Der Laan is an associate in the Chicago office of Locke Lord LLP where his practice focuses on litigating matters involving trademark and copyright infringement, false advertising, unfair competition, and trade secret misappropriation, as well as general commercial litigation. Dave also helps clients obtain protection for their intellectual property, including federal registration of trademarks and copyrights.
Dave regularly assists with Firm initiatives, ranging from the Pay It Forward Committee (which plans an annual Day of Volunteering in the Chicago office) to on-campus interviewing.
- Lead associate defending utility against ejectment and breach of contract claims, including trial of ejectment claim
- Lead associate defending crane manufacturer against claims for misappropriation of trade secrets and tortious interference with contract
- Representing composer in dispute with former music publisher
- Lead associate defending manufacturer against trademark infringement claims, resulting in denial of motions for temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction
- Lead associate defending two nonprofit corporations against certification mark infringement claims
- Lead associate defending publisher against copyright infringement claims
- Assisted with securing a unanimous jury verdict for trademark infringement, unfair competition, and false designation of origin on behalf of a designer of luxury jewelry
- Lead associate securing preliminary injunction enforcing restrictive covenants against former employee of large commercial roofing and flooring contractor. Drafted appellate brief before the Seventh Circuit.
- Lead associate securing temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction against client’s former independent contractor on the basis of false advertising and trade secret misappropriation
- Lead associate representing retailer in bringing breach of contract claims against former employee
- Lead associate defending retailer against copyright infringement claims
- Lead associate representing manufacturer in breach of contract arbitration
- Lead associate defending consultants against claims for aiding and abetting breach of fiduciary duty
- Assisted with defense of limited partnership and general partner in partnership dispute
- Represents trademark owners in maintenance and enforcement of their trademark portfolios, including drafting and responding to pre-litigation "cease and desist" letters
- Law Student Clerk to the Honorable Wayne R. Andersen of the Northern District of Illinois
Professional Affiliations and Recognitions
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Chicago Bar Association
- Vice-Chair of Board of Directors, New Moms, Inc.
- Precinct Committeeman, Downers Grove Township Republican Organization