Nina Vachhani concentrates her practice on complex patent infringement and other intellectual property litigation matters with a primary emphasis on disputes involving the Hatch-Waxman provisions of the Patent Act and the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act. Her experience ranges from the pre-litigation stage, including Paragraph IV Certifications, through initial filings, fact and expert discovery, claim construction, pre-trial, trial and post-trial phases as well as appeal.
In addition to her Hatch-Waxman practice, Nina also has experience in the seed and agricultural biotechnology industries representing seed producers, seed dealers and distributors, and seedsmen's errors and omissions insurers with regulatory, liability and transactional matters. Her intellectual property practice also extends to patent preparation and prosecution.
During her undergraduate studies, Nina was a research assistant, where she investigated and co-authored published abstracts on the emotional-somatomotor neural circuits involved in the expression of the physical symptoms of Major Depressive Disorder.
Nina is a member of the Firm's Chicago office Diversity & Inclusion and Associates' Committees.
Nina's experience includes:
Representing generic drug manufacturer(s) involving:
- Four patents concerning combination oral formulations for use in treating heart failure (Entresto®)
- Nineteen patents concerning oral formulations for the treatment of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (Esbriet®)
- Twelve patents concerning topical solutions and medical applicators for the treatment of onychomycosis (Jublia®)
- Nine patents concerning oral formulations for the treatment of partial-onset seizures epilepsy (Aptiom®)
- Two patents concerning oral formulations for the treatment of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and pulmonary embolism (PE) (Eliquis®)
- Two patents concerning oral formulations for the treatment of multiple sclerosis (Aubagio®)
- Three patents concerning transdermal solutions and medical applicators used to treat hypogonadism (Axiron®)
- Sixteen patents concerning oral formulations used to treat hypertriglyceridemia (Vascepa®)
- A patent concerning oral formulations used to treat hyperlipidemia (Livalo®)
- Three patents concerning oral formulations of opioids used to treat pain (Opana® ER)
- Two additional patents concerning oral formulations of opioids used to treat pain (Opana® ER)
- A patent concerning injectable IV infusions used to treat infections (Tygacil®)
- Two patents concerning oral formulations used to treat depression (Pristiq®)
- Representing generic drug manufacturer involving two patents concerning topical sprays for the treatment of plaque psoriasis (Topicort®). Defended against a motion for a temporary restraining order
- Preparing and prosecuting patent application on methods and products for controlling silk fly and phorid fly in maize
Professional Affiliations and Recognitions
- Named, Super Lawyers® Illinois Rising Star, Intellectual Property (2020)
- Associate Board Member, Chicago Committee for Minority Lawyers in Large Law Firms