Tamer Tullgren’s practice focuses on the representation of private equity and venture capital firms, banks, insurance companies, pension funds and other investors in M&A and financing transactions, including leveraged buyouts, equity and debt investments, and private fund formation and regulatory matters. Tamer also acts as outside general counsel to growth-oriented emerging technology companies and advises public companies on M&A transactions.
Tamer serves as chair of the Firm’s Small Business Investment Companies (SBICs) practice group. He has significant experience advising SBICs on their investment transactions and in connection with SBIC fund formation and regulatory matters. Tamer also frequently represents banks in connection with equity and debt financings of SBICs.
- Represented SaaS IT analytics company in its sale to a private equity-owned IT software company
- Represented a private equity fund in mezzanine debt and growth equity investments in a leading home health and hospice services provider
- Represented a mobile Personal Emergency Response Systems and health management solutions provider in its sale to a private equity firm
- Represented a life insurance company in the sale of its retirement plan business to a competitor
- Represented a private equity firm in the leveraged acquisition of a packaging systems distributor
- Represented a private equity fund in the acquisition of a stem cell company
- Represented a global publicly traded science and technology company in its acquisition of a US-based technology company in the electronics industry
- Represented a private equity firm relating to debt and equity investments in a manufacturer of specialty metals
- Represented a mezzanine fund in subordinated debt and growth equity investments in a provider of satellite communications systems
- Represented a private equity fund in debt and equity investments in a provider of business services to the biotech industry
- Represented a private equity fund in debt and equity investments in a manufacturer of drilling equipment
- Represented a private equity-owned provider of payment management software and services in its sale to a publicly traded global provider of payment systems
- Represented numerous private equity, venture capital, and mezzanine funds, including Small Business Investment Companies (SBICs), in all stages of formation and development, including preparing fund formation, partnership and private offering documents, advising on securities law matters and negotiating revolving line of credit facilities
- Represented a national bank in subscription line credit facilities to private equity and mezzanine funds, including SBICs
- Represented Biohaven Pharmaceutical Holding Company Ltd. in its completion of an oversubscribed $80 million private financing.
- For a U.K. vaccine company and its stockholders (venture capital funds in Sweden, France, UK and Switzerland), assisted in cross border merger and an associated venture capital financing to advance their synthetic vaccines to treat cancer and mutating viruses
- Represented a distributor of consumable industrial products in its sale to a publicly traded industrial distributor
- Represented a Swedish printed circuit board company in its acquisition of a U.S. competitor in the Mid-West
- Represented a venture-capital owned provider of workload optimization software in debt and equity financings from a private equity fund
- Represented a London Stock Exchange-listed specialty materials company in a cross-border strategic venture capital investment
- Represented two growth equity funds in their initial and follow-on investments in a provider of regenerative wound-healing solutions
- Represented state-sponsored pension systems in numerous investments in domestic and offshore private equity funds, real estate funds, hedge funds and venture capital funds
- Represented a healthcare system in mergers and acquisitions and corporate finance transactions
- Represented a cleantech-focused biotechnology company in equity and debt financings and in general corporate matters
Professional Affiliations and Recognitions
- Named, Emerging Lawyer by Leading LawyerSM for Corporate Finance Law, Mergers & Acquisitions Law and Securities & Venture Finance Law (2015)
- Member, ACG Chicago; and Member of ACG Chicago NextGen Leaders Committee
- Member, Small Business Investor Alliance (SBIA)
- Member, Illinois Venture Capital Association (IVCA)
- Sponsor member of Hyde Park Angels
- Tamer has served in leadership roles on the Shedd Aquarium Auxiliary Board, most recently as chair of the conservation committee.
- As a volunteer magician with Open Heart Magic, Tamer regularly performs bedside magic for children at University of Chicago Comer Children’s Hospital.