George Ticknor is a member of the Locke Lord Executive Committee. George represents banks, finance companies, public and private investment funds, and other financial institutions on a transactional basis and as general counsel. He is outside counsel to public companies in the financial services and media industries. George also represents private equity funds, hedge funds, sponsor and other investor groups making investments and acquisitions. He has been involved in acquisitions and financings in a broad range of industries with special focus on the financial services and technology, media and telecommunications ("TMT") sectors. His experience encompasses also debt capital market transactions including high yield debt and syndicated loan financings and restructurings, securitization, second lien, and mezzanine financings. He also represents private equity portfolio companies and other operating companies in a range of industries including communications, financial services, and investment management.
- Represented Lamar Advertising Company, a NASDAQ 100 company, in the outdoor advertising business for over 25 years in connection with high yield debt offerings aggregating billions of dollars, including in early 2016 serving as issuer’s counsel in the Rule 144A and Regulation S placement of $400 million of 5¾% Senior Notes due 2006. We have also represented Lamar in connection with its credit facilities throughout this period, the most recent transaction being the issuance of $900 million of term loans in May, 2017.
- In addition to financing matters, we advised Lamar in connection with its conversion from an operating company to a real estate investment trust (REIT) in November 2014 and in connection with its $458.5 million acquisition of the assets of Clear Channel Outdoor Holdings Inc. in five U.S. markets which closed in 2016.
- Represented NewStar Financial Inc. in a range of transactions since 2004 including
- Advising NewStar in two related transactions which closed on December 22, 2017. The first was the definitive agreement for First Eagle Investment Management to acquire NewStar. The second was a definitive agreement for NewStar to sell portfolio and investment assets including approximately $2.4 billion of middle market loans and other credit investments to a newly formed investment fund sponsored by GSO Capital Partners LLP.
- Represented NewStar in the sale of its equipment finance business and related assets to Radius Bank for approximately $140 million which closed in December 2016.
- Represented NewStar Financial in the sale of its asset based lending subsidiary, NewStar Business Credit LLC to Sterling National Bank for approximately $330 million which closed in March 2016.
- Represented NewStar in a $300 million Senior Notes offering and subsequent “add ons” during 2015, a $100 million financing with Fortress Credit Corporation in 2012, a $70 million facility with Macquarie Bank in 2011 which was restructured in 2012 and various special purpose asset financings including “Master Repos” to fund mortgage financing.
- We have also served as general counsel to NewStar advising on loan transactions and restructurings and on matters relating to governance, disclosure, securities, investment advisor matters and debt and capital raises.
- Represented Bank of America as administrative agent, lender and arranger in leveraged financings including $100 million financing in favor of Ameresco.
- Represented Credit Suisse as Administrative Agent in restructuring of credit facility in favor of Liberman Broadcasting.
- Represented GE Capital as administrative agent, lender and arranger in a series of leveraged finance transactions in the TMT Group prior to the sale of the GE Capital loan portfolio to Capital One.
- Represented Capital One in transactions in their TMT group including credit facilities in favor of Sinclair/Tribune Broadcasting and Cunningham Broadcasting each of which closed in 2017.
- Represented Post Road Capital in a $40 million senior debt financing including warrants in favor of Shared Access LLC, an Irish telecommunications company which closed in July 2017.
- Represented Atalaya in a series of combined senior debt and equity transactions in telecommunications, broadcasting and branding industries, including restructuring and realizing on an investment in a European telecommunications company which closed in December 2017.
- Represented Alltran, a portfolio company of a private equity firm, in connection with the potential sale and then restructuring of $160 million of first and second lien loan facilities which closed in July 2017.
- Represented One Sixty Over Ninety a portfolio company of a private equity firm in a $80 million debt facility to finance a dividend recapitalization which closed in March 2017.
- Represented CapX Partners in equipment lease facilities closing in August and September 2017.
- For many years we have represented funds affiliated with private equity firms and banks including Citizens Bank, investing in high yield debt and term debt financings.
Professional Affiliations and Recognitions
- George was among the leading lawyers featured in the Chambers USA from 2004-2014. The guide, published for the first time in the U.S. in 2004, evaluates attorneys on the basis of client research. George was also recognized among the "Best Lawyers in America" in the 2006-2009 editions in the two specialties of Banking Law and Corporate Law and in 2010-2019 in the four specialties of Banking Law, Corporate Law, Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law.
- George was also named the Best Lawyers' 2014 Boston Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law "Lawyer of the Year".