Ben Sykes is a Partner in the Chicago office of Locke Lord LLP where he concentrates his practice on regulatory and transactional insurance, health care and administrative matters. He regularly advises insurers, managed care organizations, managing general agents, third party administrators and service contract providers on complex issues relating to compliance with various federal and state insurance laws and provides counsel on transactional matters. His insurance practice includes extensive experience with reinsurance transactions in all lines of business for the insurance industry.
- Advising a regional property & casualty insurer on the sale of its personal lines business via a renewal rights transaction.
- Counseling a leading life insurer on mandated benefits associated with group life and specified disease insurance policies in all 50 states, with a focus on the extent to which such products are regulated by jurisdictions other than the jurisdiction in which the group policy is issued.
- Advising various clients, including a national hospital group, a regional HMO, and a large provider group, on potential joint ventures between providers and insurers, with a specific emphasis on PPACA related issues.
- Drafting a third party administrator contract, as well as the associated corporate documents, for a Florida health insurer.
- Preparing and filing forms associated with holding company registration statement regulations in multiple jurisdictions for various insurers.
- Analyzing the impact of "any willing provider" laws on the business of a national pharmacy benefit management company.
- Drafting multiple contingent commission agreements for a multinational specialty lines insurance company and its various managing general agents.
- Reviewing life insurer's marketing and advertising materials for compliance with various state and NAIC requirements; revised materials to provide more robust disclosure statements and strike certain "red-flag" wording.
- Associate, Locke Lord LLP
- Associate, Foley & Lardner LLP