Heather Stone focuses on private equity and is Co-Chair of the Firm's Investment Adviser and Alternative Funds Practice Group. She has 25 years of experience in a range of domestic and cross-border investment fund, regulatory, corporate and securities work. Heather is a member of the Firm's Board of Directors and a former member of the Firm's Executive Committee.
Heather represents dozens of alternative investment funds of all types, including private equity, venture capital and real estate, in all aspects of their structuring, formation, reorganization and maintenance, and also advises these groups on investment adviser, investment company and other related regulatory issues.
Heather also handles investments for many of the alternative funds she works with, and acts as general counsel to growth-oriented software, emerging technology and media companies in all stages of development. Heather also represents many institutions, such as public and private pension funds, educational institutions, insurance companies, corporations, family offices and endowments, in their investments in alternative funds around the world.
Heather is an active lecturer on alternative fund, private equity, corporate finance and securities topics, and has had articles on these topics published in American Venture, Women's Business and other notable publications. She is frequently quoted in such publications as the Boston Business Journal, The Deal, Entrepreneur, Mergers & Acquisitions, Private Equity International and Venture Capital Journal. Heather has lectured extensively for the Kauffman Fellows Program as well as at the Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania, the Fuqua School of Business at Duke University, the Sloan School of Business at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, in Babson College’s MBA program, and in the University of Maryland's MBA program.
Heather's representative experience includes:
- Advised managers of alternative funds (including private equity, venture capital, real estate and others), institutional investors and investment advisers on a broad range of formation, buyout/separation, restructuring, internal governance, regulatory and portfolio investment matters
- Represented many private companies as outside general counsel, including with respect to buy and sell-side acquisition engagements
- Partner, Locke Lord LLP, Boston
- Chair, Investment Adviser and Alternative Funds Practice Group
- Former Member, Locke Lord Executive Committee
- Partner, Testa, Hurwitz & Thibeault, LLP, Boston
Professional Affiliations and Recognitions
- Member, American Bar Association - Section of Business Law
- Member, Boston Bar Association
- Member, The Boston Club
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Member, National Venture Capital Association
- Named, Massachusetts Super Lawyers®, Business/Corporate (2005-2006)
- Named, Best General Lawyer for a High-Tech Firm, Digital Industry (2001)
- Executive Board Member, New England Dressage Association
- Past Board Member, Lovelane Special Needs Horseback Riding Program