Katy Skattum is an employee benefits and executive compensation attorney focusing her practice on compliance issues concerning qualified retirement plans, health and welfare plans, executive employment agreements, equity-based compensation, performance-based compensation, and other nonqualified deferred compensation plans.
With regard to qualified retirement plans, Katy advises clients on plan design matters, required plan amendments and disclosures, determination letter applications, and identifying and correcting plan document and operational errors. She also advises employers on issues related to implementing changes to their group health plans required for compliance with the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, as well as, designing employee wellness programs to comply with HIPAA, the ADA, and GINA. In addition, Katy advises her clients on employee benefit matters arising during mergers and acquisitions, including assessment of golden parachute arrangements.
- Advise clients regarding performance-based compensation plans subject to Code Section 162(m) and nonqualified deferred compensation plans subject to Code Sections 409A and 457A.
- Draft and negotiate executive employment agreements, change in control agreements, and severance agreements.
- Design equity-based compensation plans and award agreements for compliance with the tax code.
- Advise clients on employee benefit issues related to same-sex spouses.
- Counsel clients on employee benefit issues identified in mergers and acquisitions, including golden parachute taxes.
- Draft amendments, summary plan descriptions, and participant disclosures to assist clients in keeping their retirement plans and welfare plans in compliance with current law.
- Assist clients in correcting qualified plan failures through the Employee Plans Compliance Resolution System, the Voluntary Fiduciary Correction Program and the Delinquent Filer Voluntary Compliance Program.
- Draft private letter ruling requests on behalf of clients seeking IRS guidance on specific employee benefit related issues.
Professional Affiliations and Recognitions
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Member, Dallas Bar Association
- Employee Benefits/Executive Compensation Section