Tom has nearly 45 years of hands-on, results-oriented accomplishments in a wide variety of legal matters including mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures; SEC practice and compliance (Sarbanes-Oxley Act); commercial and employment law; equity and debt, public and private financings; general corporate law; litigation, including litigation management; and senior executive matters, including employment contracts, non-competition restrictions and severance agreements.
Tom has demonstrated people, administrative and management skills including direct participation with boards of directors and senior executives of public and private business organizations in all aspects of their legal and business decision-making processes.
A former First Lt. in the U.S. Army, Tom began his legal profession in Detroit, Michigan, as an associate in a private law firm. In 1983, he moved to Atlanta, Georgia where he has expanded his legal career and served as general counsel, vice president and secretary for two Fortune 500 companies.
- Mergers & Acquisitions - Structured, negotiated, drafted, and consummated mergers, acquisitions, dispositions, joint ventures and spin-offs ranging in size up to $1.4 billion.
- Equity & Debt Financings - Negotiated and closed equity offerings of up to $1.2 billion and public and private long and short term debt financings of up to $600 million. Participated in the creation of commercial paper programs, medium-term note placements and revolving bank debt.
- Commercial Law - Counseled large public and private companies ensuring legal compliance as well as providing legal/business advice on a wide range of issues including antitrust, advertising, employee and labor relations, marketing, purchasing, litigation, real estate, environmental, safety, insurance programs and other matters.
- Litigation Management - Supervised nation-wide defense of lawsuits involving national companies including antitrust class actions, product liability, employee discrimination/wrongful termination and mass tort cases.
- Corporate - Corporate Secretary function for three Fortune 500 companies with responsibility for Board and Committee meetings, Shareholder meetings, resolutions, formation and dissolution of subsidiaries, preparation of SEC public offering documents, reports and proxy statements, securities law compliance programs and other counseling matters.
Professional Affiliations and Recognitions
- Member, Technology Association of Georgia
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, State Bar of Georgia