Jason Schumacher is a Partner in the Dallas and Houston offices of Locke Lord LLP. Jason primarily is a transactional and project attorney, where his practice focuses on serving clients in the energy industry and the oil and gas sector. He has vast experience in mergers, stock and asset acquisitions and divestitures, joint development projects, operational affairs, project development for energy facilities and financing arrangements for energy and oil and gas companies. His clients include private and publicly-traded U.S. and Chinese companies, energy holding companies and oil and gas service companies, as well as mineral interest owners, lenders, private equity firms and other financial institutions.
Jason has documented and closed transactions totaling billions of U.S. dollars and has documented joint venture arrangements and energy facility projects involving committed aggregate expenditures in the billions. Clients call on him frequently when they are involved in disputes, litigation, arbitrations and mediations involving questions pertaining to energy and oil and gas holdings and operational disputes.
Jason is a frequently sought-after presenter and writer in oil and gas industry, speaking and publishing in both US and globally focused events and publications. He is heavily involved in the Energy Section of the Dallas Bar Association, serving as its chair in 2012. He also serves on the board of the Texas Energy Council and was elected its president for 2013-2014 and 2014-2015.
Jason has gained recognition by being named a Texas Rising Star in Super Lawyers magazine (2016-2017) and one of the Best Attorneys in Dallas in D Magazine (2015).
- Negotiated and closed acquisition by affiliate of Cox Operating, L.L.C. of the then publicly-traded Energy XXI Gulf Coast Corporation, as well as all associated acquisition financing for US$322 million
- Documented and closed 363 sale for non-operating oil and gas company owned by private equity firm
- Represented Matador Resources Company in a group of long-term natural gas, crude oil and produced water midstream contracts with San Mateo Midstream LLC involving Matador’s properties in the Delaware Basin
- Negotiated and closed nine-figure acquisition by a family office owned oil and gas company of Gulf of Mexico producing oil and gas leases and wells
- Documented and closed US$535 million acquisition of Woodbine Acquisition, LLC, a Texas-based exploration and production company by Meidu Holding Co., Ltd., a Chinese entity traded on the Shanghai stock exchange
- Documented and closed more than US$3.5 billion in debt facilities with oil and gas reserves serving as the primary collateral, representing both lenders and borrowers
- Documented and closed more than 40 acquisitions and divestitures of U.S. oil and gas assets covering almost every producing state and numerous plays across the U.S., including offshore assets in federal and state waters
- Documented and closed multiple joint exploration and development agreements of oil and gas exploration, involving hundreds of thousands of acres spanning several states and different mineral plays
- Documented and closed numerous midstream agreements on behalf of midstream, capital providers and E&P companies including long-term take or pay gathering and processing arrangements
- Documented and closed numerous fund formations on behalf of oil and gas companies and royalty purchasers seeking capital for acquisitions and drilling capital
- Documented and closed an equity purchase agreement on behalf of a management team partnering with a private equity firm in an oil and gas exploration and production project
- Represented a publicly traded oil and gas company in its exploration and development agreement involving coal bed methane development in Indiana and Utah
- Documented and closed the sale of a 60-mile offshore state water pipeline in the Gulf of Mexico to a private-equity-backed midstream company
- Documented and closed acquisitions of five different oil and gas service companies on behalf diversified holding company utilizing significant seller-financed buyouts
- Documented and closed US$100 million in debt facilities to oil and gas service and equipment companies, representing the lender
- Documented and closed a US$75 million lease transactions involving "pad" or "cushion" gas for underground gas storage facilities
Professional Affiliations and Recognitions
- Energy Section, Dallas Bar Association
- Chair, 2012
- Vice chair, 2011
- Treasurer, 2010
- CLE chair, 2009
- Texas Energy Council
- President, 2013 – 2014, 2014 – 2015
- Vice president of Symposium, 2011 – 2012, 2012 – 2013
- Named one of the Best Attorneys in Dallas for oil and gas in D Magazine (2015)
- Named a Rising Star by Super Lawyers magazine (2016-2017)