Lisa Ruggiero has extensive experience representing clients across various industries in connection with complex commercial litigations in federal and state courts throughout the country, including management and defense of consumer fraud class actions, mass toxic tort and product liability cases, actions involving business disputes, unfair competition cases, financial services litigation, and employment matters. She also counsels clients regarding labels, warnings and related product safety issues.
Lisa has represented high-profile clients, including telecommunications, chemical, pharmaceutical, industrial, financial services, and medical and consumer product manufacturer companies, in high-stakes disputes relating to various state consumer fraud and deceptive business practices statutes as well as in cases involving DES, PCBs, Agent Orange, benzidene, acrylonitrile asbestos, medical devices, telecommunications equipment, consumer and juvenile products, and heavy equipment. She has coordinated and managed many large-scale electronic and hard copy document collections, reviews and productions in complex federal and state litigations. In addition, she has engaged in extensive motion practice involving class certification, Daubert, discovery, dispositive, and pre-trial matters. She has wide-ranging experience in fact and expert depositions, settlement negotiations, arbitrations, mediations and identification and preparation of experts for trial.
In 2016, Lisa was named as a “Top Women in Law” by the New Jersey Law Journal. Lisa was recognized in 2008 as a “Rising Star” in the New Jersey Monthly Magazine and included in the New Jersey Law Journal’s “40 under 40” listing in 2007.
Before joining the Firm, Lisa was a partner in the litigation department at Patton Boggs. Prior to that, she was of counsel at Latham and Watkins. In addition to her law firm experience, she possesses a diverse educational background that includes a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology with a concentration in Chemistry and a Certification in U.S. Healthcare Compliance. While at Patton Boggs, she was also a member of the Firm’s Diversity Committee, Risk Management Committee, Strategic Planning Committee and Operations & Finance Committee. She is presently a member of the Diversity Committee at Locke Lord.
- National GranuFlo/NaturaLyte Dialysis Litigation.Served as National Coordinating Counsel for DaVita Healthcare Partners, one of the nation’s largest dialysis providers, for more than 5 years, defending the company in a federal putative class action involving patients and family members of deceased patients alleging numerous claims, including violations of various consumer fraud acts under laws of various states and professional negligence, with regard to the dialysis that the patients received.In addition, she managed the company’s defense in various state court actions filed throughout the country by coordinating and overseeing local counsel in those cases and ensuring uniform positions were taken with regard to pleadings, defense strategy, discovery responses, deposition testimony, motion practice, settlement, and trial strategy.She assisted the company in managing related federal multi-district litigation as well.Class certification of a class of as many of 300,000 members was defeated. Claims and plaintiffs were also trimmed during the course of the litigation by motion practice and settlement.
- Y2K Class Action Litigation. Served as Counsel to AT&T, Lucent Technologies, and Avaya in actions filed in New York, New Jersey, California and West Virginia alleging consumer fraud in sale of business communications systems. Briefed motion to dismiss in New York and New Jersey and achieved a class action settlement in California and West Virginia.
- Naomi R. Henderson v. The Hertz Corporation. Served as counsel for the Hertz Corporation in a putative class action alleging that its sale of insurance services was unlicensed, unlawful and a consumer fraud. The action was dismissed on motion.
- Saffer v. The Hertz Corporation.Served as Counsel for the Hertz Corporation in a putative consumer fraud class action brought in New Jersey Superior Court, alleging, inter alia, that Hertz defrauded consumers by collecting sales taxes on its fuel and service charge. The action was dismissed on summary judgment.
- WTC Debria Removal Litigation.Defense of the City of New York and over 150 contractors in the state and federal court against more than 10,000 personal injury claims arising from the rescue, recovery, debris removal and cleanup operations following the 9/11 terrorist attacks.
- Krajina Class Action Litigation. Defense of a private military contractor against claims of genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity brought via the Alien Tort Statute in federal court.
- DES Litigation.Defended pharmaceutical company in numerous product liability actions involving manufacture of DES in New York, Ohio, Washington and Kentucky.
- Renewed Agent Orange Class Action Litigation. Represented a biotechnology company against a class of Vietnamese Citizens alleging war crimes and crimes against humanity brought via the Alien Tort Statute in connection with the manufacture and use of military herbicides used during the Vietnam War.
- Defense of several securitized student loan trusts in class action litigation.
- Defended chemical and other manufacturers against numerous toxic tort actions alleging damages for personal injuries and death and seeking medical monitoring in cases involving PCBs, asbestos, acrylonitrile, benzene and benzidene in various state and federal courts.
- Defended manufacturer of consumer products, children’s toys and playground equipment in product liability actions in various jurisdictions.
- Defended company in federal action brought by individuals seeking class certification based on alleged violations of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act.
- Managed all New Jersey commercial litigation for an international real estate development company.
Professional Affiliations and Recognitions
- Named, 2016 Top Women in Law by New Jersey Law Journal
- Named as team member, 2015 Products Liability Litigation Department of the Year by the New Jersey Law Journal
- Named, 2007 "40 under 40" by New Jersey Law Journal
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Association
- Member, New York State Bar Association