Lisa Ruggiero provides management and defense of toxic tort and product liability cases on behalf of major chemical, pharmaceutical, industrial, medical and consumer product manufacturers in federal and state courts. She counsels clients regarding labels, warnings and related product safety issues. Lisa also handles complex commercial litigation, including consumer fraud class actions, contractual disputes, unfair competition cases and intellectual property matters.
Lisa has represented high-profile clients on matters relating to asbestos, medical devices, telecommunications equipment, consumer and juvenile products, heavy equipment, DES, PCBs, Agent Orange, benzidene and acrylonitrile. She has coordinated and managed several large-scale electronic and hard copy document collections, reviews and productions in complex federal and state litigations. In addition, she has engaged in extensive motion practice involving discovery, dispositive, Daubert and pre-trial matters, and also has experience in fact and expert depositions, settlement negotiations, arbitrations, mediations and identification and preparation of experts for trial.
In 2008, Lisa was recognized as a “Rising Star” in the New Jersey Monthly Magazine and included in the New Jersey Law Journal’s “40 under 40” listing in 2007.
Before joining the Firm, Lisa was a partner in the litigation department at Patton Boggs. Prior to that, she was of counsel at Latham and Watkins. In addition to her law firm experience, she possesses a diverse educational background that includes a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology with a concentration in Chemistry. While at Patton Boggs, she was also a member of the Firm’s Diversity Committee, Risk Management Committee, Strategic Planning Committee and Operations & Finance Committee.
- Defense of the City of New York and over 150 contractors in the Southern District of New York against claims relating to the debris removal and cleanup activities that occurred after the 9/11 terrorist attacks.
- Defense of medical services provider against purported class action in federal court for injuries and deaths allegedly resulting from use of prescription medical device.
- Defense of a private military contractor against claims of genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity brought via the Alien Tort Statute.
- Defended pharmaceutical company in numerous product liability actions involving manufacture of DES in New York, Ohio, Washington and Kentucky.
- Defended chemical and other manufacturers against toxic tort actions involving PCBs, asbestos, acrylonitrile, Agent Orange, benzene and benzidene.
- Defended manufacturer of consumer products, children’s toys and playground equipment in product liability actions in various jurisdictions.
- Defended international car rental company against consumer fraud class actions in various jurisdictions.
- Represented a biotechnology company against a class of Vietnamese Citizens alleging war crimes and crimes against humanity brought via the Alien Tort Statute in connection with the manufacture and use of military herbicides used during the Vietnam War.
- Managed all New Jersey commercial litigation for an international real estate development company.
- Defended pro bono clients against various disorderly persons charges.
Professional Affiliations and Recognitions
- Named as team member, 2015 Products Liability Litigation Department of the Year by the New Jersey Law Journal
- Member, Defense Research Institute
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Association
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Named, 2016 Top Women in Law, New Jersey Law Journal