Robert Romano is a Partner in the Firm's New York office. He has extensive experience with international matters, having resided in both London and Brazil and assisted numerous clients throughout the world, including in such areas as banking and insurance regulatory and corporate matters and energy development, as well as related cross-border litigation strategies.
With more than 35 years of legal experience, Robert works with clients from Brazil, the United Kingdom, Europe, Japan and China, as well as U.S. companies with interests in international markets.
Robert assists clients in formulating strategies to enter into or restructure their operations in the U.S. market – to obtain and maintain licenses domestically and to engage in activities in the U.S., to acquire energy assets from U.S. sources and to maintain compliance with U.S. requirements for operations abroad and domestically, including the strictures of the U.S. Office of Foreign Asset Control and the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
He is familiar with the Brazilian legal system and has assisted clients in Brazil and the United States in cross-border litigation matters.
Highlights of this experience include:
- Representation of a leading Brazilian financial conglomerate in the sale of its joint venture interest in a Brazilian insurer to a major U.S. group
- Advising a major European industrial conglomerate in multiple restructuring transactions of its financial enterprises in North America
- Representation of a major Brazilian group in prosecuting claims against U.S. defendants for bribery in Brazil
- Representation of a major U.S. insurance conglomerate over 2 years in the largest restructuring transaction at the time, involving capital distributions and in-kind transfers, de-poolings, assumption reinsurance, bulk transfers and multiple change of control issues
- Representation of a leading U.S. enterprise in negotiations with regulators and criminal authorities in the U.S. and Brazil over the resolution of potential penalties exceeding $300 million
- Representation of a European financial institution in developing OFAC (Office of Foreign Asset Control) compliance standards for its U.S. financial market operations
- Advising leading European reinsurer on its privatization bid to purchase IRB Resseguros S.A., the Brazilian government-owned reinsurance monopoly
- Developing a structure and opining as to the U.S. aspects of a number of UK “Part VII Transfers” of assets and liabilities among UK companies with obligations in the U.S. market
- Representation of a major Brazilian construction company in a lender liability action to be heard in New York courts arising out of Iraqi contract defaults
- Development of novel regulatory structures—used as the market standard for the last 20 years—to facilitate writing by non-U.S. insurers of reinsurance throughout the U.S., resulting in more than $4 billion invested in U.S. collateral facilities
- Development of Brazil - U.S. cross-border investment opportunities in the oil and gas (LNG) industries for Brazil, Chinese, Saudi and U.S. business interests
- Representing U.S. interests in acquiring insurers in Brazil
- Drafting of insurance laws and regulations in the U.S. and abroad for governments and insurer interests, including creation of a novel tax and insurance regulatory regime for the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico