Of Counsel with the Firm, David has a general real estate practice, including zoning and land use, leasing, acquisition/disposition and other real estate matters for private and public sector clients. His experience includes extensive work in design, construction and procurement for commercial, institutional and public sector development. David has been recognized as a leader in his field by Chambers USA.
- Represented the Massachusetts Convention Center Authority in structuring and implementing design and construction procurements and preparing contract documents for its major building projects, including the Hynes Convention Center in Boston and the $800 million Boston Convention and Exhibition Center, the largest public project in Massachusetts to use the construction manager at-risk project delivery method.
- Represents a national health care system on leasing, construction and other real estate matters, including development of master form contracts for project management, design, construction and property management.
- Represented the City of Boston in connection with real estate aspects of the Van Ness/Boylston West project, a mixed use (retail, office, residential and parking) project in Boston’s Fenway district that included “I-cubed” financing.
- Represents a major urban university on real estate matters, including a $100M+ dormitory developed in partnership with a commercial developer and structured as a build-to-suit lease.
- Represented biotech leader Genzyme Corporation in connection with multiple building projects in Massachusetts and elsewhere, including contracting strategy, contract development and negotiation, and advice on insurance, contract administration and claims.
- Represented the City of Newton, Massachusetts in connection with procurement and preparation and negotiation of contract documents for the project manager, designer, and construction manager at-risk for the City's Newton North High School project, with a project cost in excess of $190 million.
- Represented the developers of a luxury hotel/condominium project in Rhode Island ($75 million construction cost), including contract packaging, drafting and negotiation for engagement of the project designer, site-work contractor and CM at-risk.
- Represented the Puerto Rico Highway and Transportation Authority (PRHTA) in developing and implementing the procurement process for the Authority's $2.3 billion rail mass-transit system in San Juan, known as Tren Urbano, completed under seven large design-build contracts; David's work included preparation of a unique contract for privatized operation and maintenance of the completed transit system.
- Represented the PRHTA and the Puerto Rico Infrastructure Finance Authority in developing regulations to authorize alternative procurement and contracting methods, including design-build, design-build-operate-maintain, task-order contracting, and construction management at-risk for major infrastructure projects, among them Tren Urbano, toll highway and bridge projects, and a major water and wastewater facility development program. Also represented the PRHTA in the procurement process and preparation of contract documents for an electronic highway toll-collection system.
Professional Affiliations and Recognitions
- Member, American Bar Association, Construction Industry Forum and Public Contract Law Section