Whit Roberts, Deputy Managing Partner of Locke Lord’s Dallas office, has extensive experience in a broad range of merger and acquisition, corporate finance and other corporate and joint venture transactions.
Whit is listed in The Best Lawyers in America for Mergers & Acquisitions (2020) and Corporate Law (2015 – 2020) and selected in Texas Super Lawyers and D Magazine’s "Best Lawyers in Dallas."
Whit regularly works on merger and acquisition transactions (asset sales, stock sales and mergers, including going-private transactions and spin-offs and sales of divisions) in which he represents public and private companies and special committees and financial advisors.
Whit has extensive experience in equity and debt financings, as well as reporting and disclosure requirements under securities laws. He has represented companies through their life cycle (from founding, to early stage and follow on public and private financings, to acquisitions, to exit) in a variety of industries, including technology-enabled services, electronics manufacturing, hospitality, real estate services, healthcare, and oilfield services. He has worked on initial public offerings and follow-on public offerings in a range of industries.
Whit advises on organizational, structuring and governance matters for companies, joint ventures and their boards and other governing bodies. He also represents clients in their strategic commercial transactions.
Whit has advised numerous clients in spin-off and business separation transactions in a wide variety of industries, including hedge funds, oil & gas, real estate development, executive business centers, website consulting and development, medical diagnostic services and medical office management.
- Represent public and private companies in sale processes, including publicly listed companies in IT consulting, data management and technology enabled services and privately owned companies in the chemical manufacturing, hospitality, media, senior and assisted living, online education and technology enabled services (including SaaS) industries
- Represent buyers in M&A transactions, including clients that carry out a series of acquisitions to consolidate or roll-up an industry, such as a Fortune 500 subsidiary in an acquisition program in the commercial building services industry
- Represent client in simultaneous equity and senior and mezzanine debt financings utilized to fund the contemporaneous acquisition of multiple target companies
- Represent a joint venture made up of six leading companies in the hospitality industry in its corporate governance, financing, M&A and commercial matters
- Represent the U.S. subsidiary of a worldwide telecommunications company in its spin-off and restructuring into multiple U.S. subsidiaries organized along lines of business
- Represent manufacturing company in an alternative energy industry in its spin-off and financing transactions
- Represent ESOP-owned companies in their transition to ESOP ownership, initial and follow-on debt and mezzanine financing and merger and acquisition matters, as well as ongoing corporate governance and commercial matters
Professional Affiliations and Recognitions
- Named, The Best Lawyers in America, Mergers & Acquisitions (2020), Corporate Law (2015-2020)
- Named, Best Lawyers in Dallas by D Magazine (2016-2019)
- Named, Texas Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers magazine (2004, 2019)
- Member, Texas Bar Foundation
- Member, Dallas Bar Foundation
- Member, Dallas Bar Association
- Board of Directors, Dallas Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Dallas Citizens Council
- Board of Governors, Dallas Symphony Orchestra
- Member of Executive Committee of the Advisory Board of ACT (Advocates for Community Transformation)
- Member, University of Texas College of Liberal Arts Advisory Council