Brandon Renken is a Partner in Locke Lord's commercial litigation department with considerable trial and courtroom experience. Brandon focuses on maintaining a broad-based commercial litigation practice concentrating on all types of complex commercial disputes, both as plaintiff and defendant.
- Obtained and negotiated pre-trial defense settlement of $20 million premises liability and negligence claim related to a fall that resulted in the Plaintiff breaking his spine and spending time in a coma.
- Obtained $15 million dollar payment in settlement of dispute arising from natural gas gathering and processing contract dispute. Defendants increased offer from $1 million to $15 million following first week of plaintiff’s presentation and case in chief during what was scheduled as a two week jury trial.
- Obtained and negotiated defense settlement of $70 million wrongful death claim related to explosion of medical grade oxygen canister during voir dire.
- Obtained settlement of trade secret litigation, as plaintiff, for industrial health and safety services and training company. Settlement included an express acknowledgment of the existence and value of disputed trade secret methodology.
- Defended trade secret misappropriation and unfair competition case based on licensed trade secret rights and proprietary processes related to the creation and sale of sulfur dioxide.
- Represented historical Texas ranch in preserving and maintaining trade dress and trademark rights throughout Texas, including federal litigation related to same.
- Defended online retailer in federal Lanham act action regarding fair use of trade dress and trademark rights.
- Represented large scale chemical manufacturer in defense of trade secret formulas and related organic products used in generation and storage of electricity.
- Represented online photography retailer in enforcing trade secret, copyright, and trade dress rights related to its software, technology, and online services and sales presence.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissal of breach of contract case related to alleged violation of a right of first refusal affecting a lease and permanent easement for a cell tower facility. This was an issue of first impression in Texas.
- Obtained multi-million dollar verdict in maritime arbitration related to the purchase of an offshore diving and dive support vessel.
- Obtained pretrial settlement of shareholder claims for breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, and breach of contract, among others, against healthcare service provider.
- Obtained summary judgment in Clark County District Court against Plaintiff seeking a 10% ownership stake in a multi-million dollar automobile dealer group.
- Assisted in defense of SEC investigation related to corporate compliance and disclosure issues regarding executive compensation and corporate expenditures.
- Represented multi-million dollar investment partnership as Plaintiff in Federal jury trial related to alleged securities fraud.
- Obtained take nothing judgment for major cellular service provider related to claims of breach of contract, fraud, and other alleged abuses.
- Represented plaintiff/counter-defendant subcontractor as solo lead counsel in bench trial against property owner related to claims of breach of contract, DTPA, and breach of express and implied warranties.
- Defended major automotive distributor against claims brought by a public auto group related to alleged employee raiding and breaches of common law and statutory duties. Plaintiffs, who were seeking damages in excess of $9 million non-suited during the first week of trial.
- Obtained jury verdict in excess of $1 million against sellers and their realtor in a real estate fraud case involving non-disclosure of material information.
- Obtained mid-trial settlement of an insurance coverage dispute in which plaintiff sought treble damages in excess of $1 million.
- Obtained summary judgment against a seller who was trying to retain escrow funds in a failed commercial real estate transaction.
- Obtained sanctions equal to more than one fifth of plaintiff's damages against vexatious defendants in a residential real estate dispute.
- Represented downhole technology company in AAA arbitration against claims of fraud related to a multi-million dollar stock purchase transaction.
- Assisted in obtaining a multi-million dollar settlement as plaintiff in lawsuit related to agricultural contamination and genetically modified crops. Drafted argument related to a hotly-contested damage issue that resulted in settlement.
Professional Affiliations and Recognitions
- Named, Texas Rising Star by Super Lawyers magazine (2014-2019)
- Named, Houstonia Magazine 2018 Top Lawyer
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Member, Texas Bar Foundation
- Adjunct Professor, University of Houston Law Center