William Primps has over 40 years of experience litigating cases for large international businesses across the United States and the world. He counsels his clients on compliance with U.S. law, while also representing these companies in lawsuits and arbitrations that rank among the largest controversies in recent decades, including claims made by an association of Brazil's largest health insurers in cases pending in various U.S. courts, as well as a recent defense in the Southern District of New York of claims for hundreds of millions of dollars for violations of the 1990 Antiterrorism Act by a large China-based bank. Through his work for the North American CRO Council, he has advised a number of large insurers based in Canada, Bermuda and the U.S. on various matters relating to enterprise risk management, and recently has been retained by large U.S. insurers and manufacturers to counsel them on ERM matters including: cyber risk; cybersecurity; cyber insurance; and their presentation of ERM plans to both regulators and rating agencies.
- Abramge v. St. Jude Medical; Abramge v. Boston Scientific and Zimmer Biomet, Cases pending in Minnesota State Court and U.S. District Court in Delaware relating to sales practices in Brazil of large U.S. medical device manufacturers.
- Secured forum non conveniens ruling from Minnesota District Court on August 30, 2018 allowing multi-million dollar claims by Brazilian insurers to proceed.
- American Bankers Association – Filed amicus brief in case challenging 9th Circuit ruling holding mortgage underwriters non-exempt employees, Provident Savings Bank, FSB v. McKeen-Chaplin, 2017.
- Bank of China Ltd. – Representation of large Chinese bank in defense of terrorism related claims brought by the Boies Schiller firm on behalf of plaintiffs; four-year long case concluded in 2015, Wultz v. Bank of China Limited, 11 CV 01266 (S.D.N.Y.)
- North American Soccer League LLC – NASL v. Oklahoma City Soccer Club, 2014-16 AAA arbitration. Represented NASL in lengthy mediation and arbitration proceedings against franchise and its owner who violated contract provisions regarding withdrawal from the league. Case settled after a one day of a scheduled three day hearing.
- China Aviation Industry General Aircraft Co. Ltd. (2011-2012)
- Represented state owned manufacturer of aircraft in its acquisition of Cirrus Industries
- Represented corporation's defense of shareholder actions, settled in Delaware Chancery Court
- ASIMCO (2010) – Represented Jack Perkowski, legendary founder of ASIMCO, largest auto parts manufacturer in China, in suit to enforce indemnity rights
- Bioniche Life Sciences, Inc. – Ferghana v. Bioniche (NY Supreme Ct., No. 650747/2009) Represented Canadian life sciences company; secured summary judgment on plaintiff's multimillion dollar claims in October 2011
- SEC v. Lucent Technologies Civil Action No. 04 2315 (D.N.J.) (2003-2010). Dismissal of all fraud charges against former Lucent executive. Defense enhanced by pretrial mediation before JAMS
- Taisei Fire and Marine Insurance and Carolina Reinsurance (2001-2005). Representation in all phases of bankruptcy, federal district court and state court cases during largest reorganization of insurer in Japanese history. Large recoveries gained via summary judgment, and settlement of state and federal cases after extensive discovery, and mock jury exercises. Final settlement of state court action, 4th largest recovery in North Carolina history, assisted by a two-phase mediation.
- Hydro-Quebec, Canada's largest provincially-owned utility (1998-2001). Defense of HQ against multi-billion dollar claims of Vermont utilities consortium. At time of award, this was the largest pending international arbitration.
Professional Affiliations and Recognitions
- Named to New York Super Lawyers, 2013-2019 (Antitrust Litigation)
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Director, Atlantic Legal Foundation
- Justice, Bronxville Justice Court, 2018
- Counsel, Village of Bronxville Board of Ethics, 2004-2018
- President, Ivy Football Association, 2009-Present
- Chairman, Bronxville Zoning Board of Appeals, 1989-1991
- Trustee Village of Bronxville, 1991-1998, Deputy Mayor 1996-1998
- Vice President, Bronxville School Foundation, 2002-2005
- Director, Yale Westchester Alumni Association, 1998-Present