Ernesto Palomo is a Partner in Locke Lord's Business Litigation and Arbitration group and a member of the Firm’s Legal Personnel and Partnership Admissions Committee. Ernesto has extensive experience representing large multinational companies in court and commercial arbitration proceedings around the country. He represents both plaintiffs and defendants in a wide variety of complex business disputes, including cases involving civil RICO, antitrust, fraud, copyright infringement, interference with contractual relations, unfair competition, cases alleging theft of trade secrets and cases involving emergency equitable remedies such as temporary restraining orders and preliminary injunctions. Ernesto also has substantial experience counseling clients on issues of insurance and reinsurance coverage and has represented domestic and overseas insurers and reinsurers in coverage disputes. Ernesto serves as a key strategic advisor for insurers and their national coordinating counsel regarding personal-injury asbestos and environmental pollution litigation throughout the United States. He has handled disputes in both the life reinsurance and property and casualty reinsurance and direct insurance markets.
Some recent highlights of Ernesto's practice include:
- Obtained a Seventh Circuit ruling affirming summary judgment opinion holding that certain claims brought by the assignee of an insolvent cedent’s reinsurance receivables was time-barred.
- Obtained an order from a federal district court judge holding that a South American reinsurer was immune from the security requirements of the Illinois Insurance Code under the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act.
- Obtained an order from a federal district court judge holding that the purported assignee of several reinsurance contracts lacked standing to compel arbitration.
- Obtained a panel order granting summary disposition in favor of a life reinsurer on a retrocessionaire's misrepresentation and breach of "minimum cessions" provision claims.
- Obtained an order from a state court judge dismissing claims against an insurance company under the Illinois Trade Secrets Act.
- Represented a life reinsurance company in an arbitration hearing regarding YRT Treaty rate increases.
- Obtained a panel order granting reformation of a life reinsurance treaty and damages for breach of contract.
Ernesto devotes considerable time to pro bono matters through the National Immigrant Justice Center, the Center for Disability and Elder Law, and the Chicago Volunteer Legal Services. Ernesto also is a co-chair for the firm’s Diversity & Inclusion Committee.
Professional Affiliations and Recognitions
- Named, 2019 Latino Attorney of the Year by the Hispanic National Bar Association
- Board of Directors, The Chicago Committee
- Board of Directors, Just the Beginning—A Pipeline Organization
- Board of Directors, Chicago Legal Clinic
- Selected, 2014 Fellows Program of the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD)
- Member, Chicago Bar Association
- Member, Hispanic National Bar Association
- Member, Hispanic Lawyers Association of Illinois
- Recognized by Negocios Now 2019 Who's Who in Hispanic Chicago