"Advice to clients is not and should not be simply the practice of a trade, but rather enabling one to bring to bear one’s entire experience and knowledge for the benefit of a client"
With more than 30 years' experience in intellectual property law and in particular trade mark law, 25 of those years practicing in Europe, John Olsen advises clients on selection, acquisition, exploitation and enforcement of trade mark rights throughout the world. His hands-on approach is unique in helping clients to understand the inter-relationship of IP rights worldwide and to ensure that their trade mark enjoys as much exclusivity as possible. John advises individuals through to multi-national companies.
"In the knowledge economy, if you grant that intangible rights are at the core of that economy, then one must deal with those rights from inception to creation, through to management and exploitation – a complete service. Otherwise clients will receive disjointed advice resulting in inconsistency. To benefit from existing rights one must be consistent"
Being creative and developing strategies to assist clients in proceeding through the plethora of international laws and regulations in securing their trade mark rights is essential in my practice. That can mean creative thinking in guiding an application through the registration process or negotiating terms of co-existence. Whatever the case, the trade mark practitioner must work closely with a client and understand his/her business in order to find the best way forward when making difficult decisions.
John and his team have been at the top of The Legal 500 since the year 2000.
The UK Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners UK, as well as Chambers Global recommend John as a leading IP lawyer.
"John Olsen of Locke Lord (UK) LLP is a noted authority on trade mark law and advises on the registration, commercialisation and protection of brands. One source says he "really knows his stuff, and is refreshingly direct and to the point." (Chambers UK 2016)
John has lectured on intellectual property topics for many organisations and in many countries on virtually every continent. John is bi-lingual in English-French and he speaks social German and Spanish, facilitating his ability to assist clients in doing business in different countries.
- Managed the programme to reclaim rights to the trade mark RITZ acting on behalf of the owners of the Ritz Paris Hotel, he designed and then implemented a programme to acquire rights in the RITZ trade mark utilising litigation where necessary. Acting against companies with registrations and use of the RITZ trade mark, his programme of repatriation of rights enabled the Ritz Paris Hotel to roll out a licensing programme.
- Led the team clearing the name DIAGEO as the new name of the entity created by the merger of Grand Metropolitan plc and The Distillers Group. The searches involved every country in the world. The goal was to clear the name for use and registration in every country in the world and prevent third parties from registering or using in advance of the official launch. As a result of the plan, the selection and launch were carried out flawlessly.
Professional Affiliations and Recognitions
- Member, International Trademark Association
- Member, APRAM
- Member, AIPPI (British and French Groups)
- Member, AIPLA, Meetings Committee
- Member, ABA, Intellectual Property Law Section; Intellectual Property Committee
- Member, IBA
- Member, IPO
- Member, ASIPI
- Member, California State Bar, Intellectual Property Section; Business Law Section
- Member, ECTA
- Member, IPIC
- Member, ITMA
- Member, LES
- Member, LAIPLA
- Member, NYIPLA, International Trademark Committee
- Member, TIPLO
- Named to London Super Lawyers for Intellectual Property Law, Technology, Media and Communications, International Law (non EU) (2013-2015)