Paul Nason has focused his entire career on employment and labor law and litigation. For more than 25 years, he has exclusively represented national, regional and local employers and management in state and federal court cases involving employment discrimination, wrongful discharge, wage and hour, breach-of-contract, employment torts, and unfair competition matters.
Paul has extensive experience representing employers before various federal and state administrative agencies, including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), United States Department of Labor (DOL), National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP), Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), the Texas Workforce Commission, and the New Mexico Human Rights Commission. He also counsels employers on compliance with state and federal employment and labor laws, including providing daily advice and counsel to human resources, legal, and executive personnel on employee discipline and termination matters. Paul has also conducted numerous wage and hour audits for employers in various industries.
Paul also represents management in labor law matters. He has extensive experience in collective bargaining, unfair labor practice litigation, grievance arbitration and union avoidance campaigns.
Paul is a member of the Firm's Executive Committee, the head of the Labor and Employment Practice Group in Dallas, and a member of the Firm's Benefits Committee.
Paul is well versed in the numerous issues stemming from the COVID-19 outbreak, such as the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA), the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act), stay-at-home and related orders, and all of their impacts on employers, employees and independent contractors, including critical infrastructure and essential services determinations, paid and unpaid leave, layoffs, pay reductions, reduced hours, furloughs, downsizings, expanded unemployment, and their interaction with numerous local, state and federal laws and regulations. Many of these issues have significant interactions with employee benefits, tax, Small Business Administration, and other issues, where we collaborate closely with our colleagues experienced in those practice areas.
- Representation of local, regional and national employers in federal and state court litigation and arbitrations involving discrimination, retaliation, wrongful discharge, contract, and employment tort claims.
- Prosecution and defense of actions involving non-competition, non-solicitation and confidentiality agreements in order to protect business interests, including proprietary and trade secret information and customers.
- Representation of employers in individual and collective actions under the Fair Labor Standards Act and similar state wage and hour laws.
- Representation of employers in whistleblower litigation under state and federal law, including the Sarbanes-Oxley Act and the Dodd-Frank Act.
- Daily advice and counsel to legal, executive and human resources personnel on employee discipline and termination matters and compliance with state and federal employment and labor laws.
- Analysis and advice regarding various state and federal wage and hour issues.
- Representation of employers in investigations by the United States Department of Labor (DOL), Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and related state agencies.
- Representation of employers with union workers in collective bargaining negotiations, unfair labor practice litigation and grievance arbitrations.
- Negotiation and enforcement of executive employment and separation agreements.
- Representation of businesses on labor and employment issues arising from mergers, acquisitions, reorganizations and reductions-in-force.
Professional Affiliations and Recognitions
- Named, 2019 Lawyer of the Year (Dallas/Fort Worth) – Employment Law – Management, by Best Lawyers in America
- Named, The Best Lawyers in America, Employment Law – Management; Litigation – Labor and Employment (2015-2020)
- Selected as a Texas Super Lawyer by Super Lawyers magazine (2009-2010, 2014-2019)
- Named, Who's Who Legal: Labour & Employment (2016-2019)
- Named, Best Lawyers in Dallas, D Magazine (Labor & Employment) (2016)
- Selected as one of the nation's Most Powerful Employment Attorneys (Up-and-Comers) by Human Resource Executive magazine and Lawdragon (2012)
- Member, State Bar of Texas, Employment and Labor Law Section
- Member, American Bar Association, Employment and Labor Law Section
- Member, Dallas Bar Association