A Partner in the Public Finance practice group, Jennifer Capasso Mendonça focuses her practice exclusively on all aspects of governmental and tax-exempt finance, as bond counsel, borrower's counsel, underwriter's counsel, bank counsel and disclosure counsel in a broad variety of tax-exempt and taxable financings. Her experience includes general obligation and revenue bonds for state governments; qualified 501(c)(3) bonds for nonprofit institutions including: colleges and universities, secondary schools, hospitals, nursing homes and other healthcare entities, and other charitable organizations; small issue industrial development bonds; exempt facility bonds; and single- and multi-family housing bonds. She has extensive experience with both fixed rate and variable rate multimodal debt, public offerings and private placement transactions and derivative products. She also has significant public finance tax law expertise, particularly with respect to 501(c)(3) institutions, including assisting clients with IRS audits, VCAP requests, private use analysis and post-issuance compliance.
Jennifer has been recognized as a leader in her field by Chambers USA every year since 2015 in Banking and Finance: Public Finance (MA), was honored as a Massachusetts Lawyer’s Weekly “Up & Coming Lawyer” in 2015 and was a “Top Women in the Law” honoree in 2018. She was also named a “Rising Star” by The Bond Buyer in 2018 and is listed in the 2020 edition of The Best Lawyer’s in America® for public finance law.
Before law School, Jennifer worked as a business consultant for Arthur Andersen LLP and Hitachi Consulting in San Francisco. Her work focused primarily on business process redesign for marketing departments at several major software companies on the West Coast. While attending Boston College Law School, Jennifer served as Articles Editor for the Boston College Law Review. In addition to receiving her J.D., summa cum laude, from Boston College, Jennifer also received a Master's degree in Higher Education Administration from the Lynch School of Education.
- Extensive experience serving as bond counsel, borrower's counsel and underwriter's counsel for taxable and tax-exempt borrowings for (i) higher education institutions such as Babson College, Bentley University, Brandeis University, Boston University, Brown University, Dartmouth College, Dean College, Emerson College, Harvard University, Northeastern University, Suffolk University, Smith College, and Williams College, among many others, and (ii) large and complex healthcare institutions such as Boston Children’s Hospital, Boston Medical Center, Cape Cod Healthcare and Lahey Health System.
- Experience serving as bond counsel and borrower’s counsel on issues for numerous secondary schools including Boston College High School, Cushing Academy, Groton School and St. John’s Preparatory School.
- Serves as bond counsel to the State of Vermont in connection with its general obligation and transportation infrastructure bond financings.
- Serves as bond counsel to the New Hampshire Municipal Bond Bank in connection with its various general obligation and revenue bonding programs.
- Serves as bond counsel with respect to a variety of single family and multifamily mortgage revenue bond financings for the Massachusetts Housing Agency, the Connecticut Housing Finance Authority and the Illinois Housing Finance Development Authority.
- Serves as bond counsel to the Business Finance Authority of the State of New Hampshire with respect to its revenue bond financings for 501(c)(3) institutions and small manufacturing facilities.
- Serves as bank counsel for taxable and tax-exempt borrowings in New England and New York.
- Serves as disclosure counsel to the Massachusetts Port Authority and the District of Columbia.
- Tax counsel to nonprofit borrowers and conduit issuers regarding IRS audits of their tax exempt issues and experience assisting clients with negotiation and settlement with IRS under the Voluntary Closing Agreement Program.
- Assists clients with conducting private use analysis of bond financed facilities and in developing programs to maintain the compliance of their bond issues with applicable federal tax law requirements after the bonds have been issued.
Professional Affiliations and Recognitions
- Named in The Best Lawyers in America for Public Finance Law (2020)
- Honoree, Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly 2018 Top Women of Law
- Honoree, Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly 2015 Up & Coming Lawyer
- Honoree, The Bond Buyer Rising Star 2018
- Named a Massachusetts Rising Star by Super Lawyers (2009-2019)
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Member, National Association of Bond Lawyers (NABL)
- Steering Committee Member – NABL The Workshop (formerly Bond Attorney’s Workshop) (2017-2019)