Matthew McDougal is counsel in the Dallas office of Locke Lord LLP where he concentrates his practice on consumer finance. Matthew has represented mortgage servicers and commercial lending institutions in complex mortgage securitization, secured transactions, commercial loan and consumer litigation, including claims arising under the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, Fair Housing Act, and a host of other state and federal laws. Matthew also has experience in a myriad of Chapter 11 and 13 bankruptcy matters, court appointed receiverships, and corporate derivative litigation. He is also a Certified Mediator.
Banking and Consumer Finance Litigation
- Representation of national mortgage and mortgage servicing firms in state, federal, and bankruptcy court litigation, and various forms of ADR, in suits brought by consumer plaintiffs, involving allegations of violations of the Truth in Lending Act (TILA), the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), and an array of state and federal statutes, prevailing several times by way of dispositive or procedural motion practice.
- Associate, Kevin Buchanan & Associates, P.L.L.C., Dallas
- Legislative Associate, Texas State Representative Eric Johnson (District 100) 83rd Legislative Session, House of Representatives
Professional Affiliations and Recognitions
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Dallas Association of Young Lawyers (2015-16 Leadership Class Member)
- Member, Dallas Bar Association (2019 Social and Lawyers Promoting Diversity Committee Co-Chair)
- Member, J.L. Turner Legal Association
- Member, State Bar of Texas Pro Bono College
- Associate, The Patrick E. Higginbotham Inn of Court (2016-2017)
- Contributing Friend, Dallas Black Dance Theater
- Member, Dallas Museum of Art
- Member, Texas Exes
- Volunteer, Dallas Area Habitat for Humanity