Alan Levin is a partner in the New York and Hartford offices of Locke Lord. He has served on the Executive Committee since 2012 and previously served as its Vice Chair. He served as Managing Partner of the legacy Firm of Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP from 2014-2015, and was the Firm Chairman from 2012-2014. Alan serves as legal advisor to many sectors of the insurance industry including, but not limited to, domestic, foreign and overseas insurers, and represents clients from all segments of the insurance industry including insurers - both property and casualty and life and health - reinsurers, producers, buyers of insurance, agents, brokers and reinsurance intermediaries, third party administrators, life settlement companies, hedge funds, captive insurance programs, including debt and private equity investments in financial services providers, insurance companies and alternative risk transfer (ART), lenders, investment banks, state insurance regulators, debtors and creditors of insolvent insurers and trade associations. In addition, Alan has been involved in providing advice to insurers, reinsurers, producers and private equity funds in the InsurTech space. Alan is focused on providing advice on the regulatory issues around InsurTech developments, advising clients on investments in InsurTech and the development of digital platforms. In addition, Alan has advised clients on use based insurance programs, software and hardware surrounding telematics and the regulatory implications regarding telematics.
Alan advises reinsurers in disputes and is experienced in the detailed analysis and preparation of reinsurance agreements and loss portfolio transfers. He has conducted international reinsurance fraud investigations and is experienced in run-off and insurer insolvency.
Alan's insurance linked securities practice is focused on regulation XXX and AXXX reserve funding transactions, policy warehouse lending facilities, and cat bonds and life settlements, premium finance, life, and annuity securitizations.
He is listed in the 2020 edition of The Best Lawyers in America® in the area of Insurance Law. He was also listed in The International Who’s Who of Insurance & Reinsurance Lawyers 2017.
- Both insurers and reinsurers have depended on Alan in regulatory matters, in the areas of formation and licensing, mergers and acquisitions in the fields of life and health, and property and casualty, rehabilitation and liquidation matters and mutual holding company conversions
- Represented clients in commutations, has structured off-shore reinsurance transactions and analyzed reinsurance portfolios in the reinsurance industry
- Represented insurance companies as investors, lenders and as investment bankers, and in public offerings and private placements
- Involved in the representation of clients in corporate governance matters, including meetings of shareholders and directors
- Represents clients in the sale and acquisition of insurance producers and in connection with regulatory matters ranging from licensing to attorney general and insurance department investigations
- Represented mutual insurers in mutual affiliation transactions
- Challenged by the maze of state legislative and regulatory developments, Alan has taken clients involved in administrative hearings before state insurance departments
- Life settlement companies regularly seek Alan's advice on regulatory, strategic and structuring issues
- Structured and implemented clients' plans designed to create new services and products in the health care industry
- Counsel to overseas insurers with activities in the U.S. or in other countries, he has worked on numerous corporate transactions involving the raising of corporate capital to be deployed at Lloyd's of London
Professional Affiliations and Recognitions
- Member, Connecticut Bar Association
- Member, International Bar Association
- Member, Federation of Regulatory Counsel Inc
- Member, American Bar Association