Philip Lau’s practice centers on energy-related commercial transactions and construction, primarily in the midstream and downstream segments, and he is Co-Chair of the Firm's Construction Law practice group. Phil has represented energy companies in the acquisition of power, pipeline and other energy-related assets as well as drafting and negotiation of commercial contracts for gas processing, fractionation and transportation as well as terminalling agreements for various bulk products. Phil has also represented U.S. companies in the development of power plants, domestic wind and biofuels projects and other energy-related projects both inside and outside the U.S. Phil’s practice includes drafting and negotiation of construction contracts for energy-related capital projects, including power plants, pipelines, processing facilities and wind power generation facilities. Phil has previously worked throughout South East Asia on the development of independent power projects and his experience includes drafting and preparation of financing documents related to limited recourse financing for IPPs. Phil previously served with the Republic of Singapore Police and held the rank of Inspector of Police.
- Represented international energy company in negotiation of construction and procurement documentation for refinery expansion in Port Arthur
- Represented international energy company in drafting and negotiating EPC contracts for injection station and pipeline in Mont Belvieu area
- Represented private equity-backed energy company in the drafting and negotiation of EPC agreement for a proppant production facility in Georgia
- Represented Texas-based midstream company in the drafting and negotiation of EPC agreements for multiple natural gas pipelines in the Eagle Ford Shale
- Represented private equity-backed midstream company in drafting and negotiation of agreements for natural gas pipeline and processing facilities in Permian Basin
- Represented Houston-based midstream company in drafting and negotiation of NGL terminalling, transportation and storage agreements
- Represented Houston-based midstream company in drafting and negotiation of NGL pipeline operations and maintenance agreements
- Represented U.S. midstream company in its bid to acquire gas gathering assets in the Marcellus Shale.
- Represented Texas-based midstream company in the acquisition of fuel oil storage facilities in Channelview, Texas
- Represented U.S. energy company in drafting and negotiation of gas processing agreement for facilities in the Piceance Basin, Colorado
- Represented international diversified energy company in acquisition of West Texas natural gas liquids pipeline
- Represented international diversified energy company in acquisition of a Louisiana natural gas liquids pipeline
- Represented alternative fuels venture in drafting and negotiation of biodiesel production, storage and terminalling agreements in Houston ship channel
- Represented international energy company in drafting and negotiation of industrial gas supply agreement for refinery expansion in Port Arthur
- Represented Japanese gas turbine manufacturer in sale of gas turbines to several U.S.-based power generation facilities, and negotiation of related long-term services agreements
- Represented multilateral financing agency in drafting and negotiation of various financing and security documents in connection with limited-recourse financing of 56 MW combined cycle power plant in Senegal
- Represented Texas-based energy company in drafting and negotiation of engineering, procurement and construction contract for PDH facility in Mont Belvieu, Texas
- Represented international diversified energy company in connection with the acquisition of a coal terminal in Louisiana
- Represented publicly traded energy company in drafting and negotiation of gathering and transportation agreements for crude oil production in the Bakken Shale, North Dakota
- Represented publicly traded energy company in the drafting and negotiation of natural gas gathering agreements in the Marcellus and Utica Shales
- Represented U.S. affiliate of South American energy company in the drafting and negotiation of LPG feed gas purchase and sale agreement and related processing agreements
- Represented publicly traded energy company in the drafting and negotiation of natural gas gathering and fractionation for Eagle Ford Shale production
- Advised European investment fund in connection with its investment in U.S. wind power company
- Represented major U.S. energy company in its investment in 80 MW wind project in Iowa
- Partner, Locke Lord LLP
- Senior Counsel, Software AG, Inc., Reston, Va.
- Senior Associate, Fulbright & Jaworski LLP, Washington, D.C.
- Director, Project Development, South East Asia, Coastal Power Company, Houston
- Associate, Baker & McKenzie, Washington, D.C.
- Inspector, Republic of Singapore Police, Singapore
- Member, Board of Directors, Asian American Bar Association, Houston
- Member, Board of Directors, Western Academy
- Member, Advisory Board, Business Ethics Forum