Rick Kuebel is Co-Chair of the Firm's Bankruptcy, Restructuring and Insolvency practice group. He has extensive experience in oil, gas, and energy related bankruptcies and corporate restructuring solutions. Rick has represented numerous energy companies in business litigation, arbitration matters and regulatory disputes involving oil and gas exploration, development, transportation, refining and marketing. Rick has acted as counsel in numerous commercial disputes arising from offshore exploration projects including Macondo (Deepwater Horizon), Atlantis, Thunder Horse, Petronius, Mad Dog, West Delta and the Cook Inlet. Rick has represented numerous exploration and production companies with respect to regulatory disputes with BOEM, BSEE, and numerous state regulatory agencies.
He has represented major energy companies in a number of energy or energy-related industry restructurings and bankruptcies, including Lyondell Basell, SemCrude, Flying J, Enron (North America), Getty Petroleum Marketing, ATP, Black Elk Energy, Energy XXI, Northstar Energy, VENOCO, Shoreline Energy, RDT, Dune Energy, EOTT, Panaco, Contour Energy, TDC Energy, Virgin Oil/Offshore, Watson Energy, TransTexas Oil and Gas, Forcenergy, WRT, Alma and Equinox, Rand Energy, NARCO, AP Green, Farmland Industries, PG&E, Babcock and Wilcox, Bethlehem Steel, and Friede Goldman Halter. In addition, he has formed or represented unsecured creditor committees in a number of reorganizations including: Evans Industries, the Fairgrounds, WRT Energy, Jitney Jungle, Delchamps, Forcenergy, Friede Goldman Halter, Orion Refining, Lundy Enterprises, Valentine Paper and WFA (West Feliciana Paper Mill).
Rick also provides counseling for distressed transactions, including distressed asset acquisitions and divestitures, joint operations, regulatory implications, and other financial risks. Additionally, he represents creditors in commercial collection litigation, property litigation, enforcement of security rights and bankruptcy litigation.
Professional Affiliations and Recognitions
- Recognized in the 2019 edition of the Global Restructuring Review 100
- Named to Louisiana Super Lawyers by Law & Politics magazine (2008-2019)
- Advisory Board Member, Institute for Energy Law
- Current Chair of Litigation and Dispute Resolution Section
- Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
- Member, Turnaround Management Association
- Named, The Best Lawyers in America, Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights Law
- Recognized for Bankruptcy/Restructuring in Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers for Business (2010-2019)
- Named, Top Lawyer in New Orleans, Bankruptcy Section, New Orleans Magazine (2009-2014)