Ashlee M. Knuckey is an associate in Locke Lord’s Business Litigation and Arbitration practice group, for which she was recently recognized as an Emerging Lawyer by Leading LawyerSM for Commercial Litigation. Ashlee focuses her practice on complex litigation and arbitration, including handling matters involving breach of commercial contracts, fraudulent business practices, loss-sensitive insurance programs, and competition and other regulatory compliance issues. She represents clients in state and federal courts, in arbitration and before state and federal regulatory agencies. She has experience with all aspects of the litigation process including initial case evaluation and risk assessment, discovery, depositions, pleadings and motions, hearings, pre-trial, trial, post-trial and appeals.
In addition, Ashlee handles various corporate and regulatory matters. For example, Ashlee assists clients in all manner of issues related to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA). Ashlee regularly counsels clients on antitrust, competition and other regulatory compliance issues. She also assists clients in obtaining regulatory approval of acquisitions from state insurance departments. She also drafts and negotiates a wide range of contracts, such as non-disclosure, membership and customer agreements, both up and down stream.
What sets Ashlee apart from other attorneys is her business acumen. Ashlee’s business background has given her the understanding that all companies, even when faced with legal issues, must make business decisions, and the lawyer’s role in dealing with any transactional, regulatory or litigation issue is to assist the client in weighing legal costs, benefits and risk in making such business decisions.
Ashlee is also dedicated to all manner of Firm activities, serving as Co-Chair of the firm-wide Associates Committee, Chair of the Chicago Associates Committee, and a member of the Firm’s Pay It Forward committee for giving back to the community, and participating in all facets of the Firm’s law school recruiting and the summer associate program for the Chicago office. In addition to those more formal roles, Ashlee also mentors the Firm’s junior and mid-level litigation associates, providing them the informal training and guidance needed to succeed.
Ashlee was also the inaugural recipient of Locke Lord Chicago’s Mike Ditka Award.
- Regularly represents a major insurance company in breach of contract disputes in both arbitration and litigation, which to date have resulted in recoveries on negotiated settlements, arbitration awards and judgments totaling approximately 100% of principal amounts owed.
- Regularly represents clients in fraudulent transfer and successor liability cases in state court and bankruptcy court, which to date have resulted in negotiated settlements or are ongoing.
- Regularly represents clients in all manner of USDA and FDA-related issues.
- Regularly counsels a major food industry trade association on legal and regulatory issues.
- Regularly represents horticultural products company in breach of contract disputes across the country, often resulting in negotiated settlements or judgments for full principal and interest.
- Assisted Aetna Inc. in its $8.7 billion acquisition of Coventry Health Care, and specifically in obtaining regulatory approval from numerous state insurance departments.
- Associate, Locke Lord LLP
- Law Student Clerk to the Honorable Matthew F. Kennelly of the Northern District of Illinois (Jan.-May 2008)
- Extern to the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of Illinois (Sept.-Dec. 2007)
Professional Affiliations and Recognitions
- Member, Women’s Auxiliary Board of the Ronald McDonald House near Lurie Children’s Hospital
- Member, The Executives’ Club of Chicago (including Food & Beverage Committee Member and Operations Committee Member)
- Inaugural Recipient, Locke Lord Chicago’s Mike Ditka Award
- Named, Emerging Lawyer by Leading LawyerSM for Commercial Litigation and Insurance, Insurance Coverage & Reinsurance Law (2015)
- Member, Coalition of Women’s Initiatives
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Chicago Bar Association