Sue Kiernan concentrates her practice on public finance. She has served as bond counsel and counsel to issuers, underwriters, banks and borrowers on numerous taxable and tax-exempt debt financings. A significant portion of her practice involves structuring and completing complicated project financings for the benefit of nonprofit organizations, including hospitals, nursing homes, continuing care retirement communities, cultural institutions, public and private universities and preparatory schools.
Sue's representative experience includes:
- Financings for a variety of governmental agencies and instrumentalities, particularly water and waste water systems, and student loan financings, including drafting primary financing documents, such as indentures, loan and trust agreements, official statements, purchase contracts, blue sky memoranda, legislation and opinions
- Bond counsel to the Rhode Island Health and Educational Building Corporation, Rhode Island Student Loan Authority and Rhode Island Resource Recovery Corporation
- Underwriter’s counsel to various investment banking firms, both locally and in New York
Professional Affiliations and Recognitions
- Member, Rhode Island Bar Association
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Member, National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Named, The Best Lawyers in America®, Banking and Finance Law (2021)
- Named, Super Lawyers® Rhode Island Rising Star, Government Finance (2010-2013)
- Board Member, East Greenwich Basketball Association
- Board Member, East Greenwich Youth Field Hockey Association, Inc.
- Member, Holy Cross Club of Rhode Island
- Member, Holy Cross Athletic Alumni Association