Christopher J. Husa has a corporate practice emphasizing mergers and acquisitions, emerging businesses, and the representation of corporations and other businesses in ongoing affairs.
Mergers and Acquisitions
A significant part of Christopher's practice involves mergers and acquisitions. He has counseled buyers and sellers in acquisitions involving a variety of industries, including computer hardware and software, media and entertainment, domestic and international hotel and resort properties, medical devices, biotechnology, healthcare products, cosmetics, restaurants and food services, building products, internet services, automotive products, real estate development and brokerage, consumer products, and financial services. In connection with his mergers and acquisitions practice, Christopher has handled post-acquisition management services and support arrangements, and has represented clients in arbitration and mediation proceedings relating to post-acquisition issues including those involving indemnification, and earn-out and other price adjustment provisions.
Christopher regularly represents entrepreneurs and emerging businesses in connection with organizational and capital raising activities. He assists clients in choice of entity issues and has substantial experience with corporations, partnerships and limited liability companies. Christopher has represented both emerging businesses and venture capital firms in debt, equity and hybrid financing transactions including private placements of securities. He has counseled entrepreneurs and emerging businesses in connection with technology transfers and licensing, product distribution arrangements, website development issues, shareholder and buy-sell agreements, trademark registration and licensing, bank financing arrangements, confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements, and employment and independent contractor matters. Christopher's emerging business clients have been involved in a wide range of activities including computer hardware and software, internet product sales, internet services, real estate development, restaurants and food services, biotechnology, medical devices, healthcare products, apparel, film production, book and magazine publishing, and website development. Many of Christopher's emerging business clients have grown into successful businesses that have gone public or been acquired.
General Corporate and Business
Christopher provides legal advice on a variety of matters to corporate and other business clients in connection with their ongoing affairs. He has assisted clients with corporate governance matters, equity and debt offerings, shareholder disputes and shareholder buy-outs, contract drafting and interpretation, technology transfers and licensing, employment and severance arrangements, the establishment of foreign operations, the formation of joint ventures, and trademark registrations, licensing and disputes. In addition, Christopher counsels foreign-owned businesses in establishing and conducting U.S. operations, including product distribution arrangements in the U.S. He has represented private equity firms and other investors in connection with domestic and international investments, particularly with respect to hotel and resort properties. Christopher has advised borrowers and lenders in commercial finance transactions, and has assisted companies with strategic investments in other businesses and technologies. He also has represented both issuers and underwriters in public offerings and has assisted public companies with their periodic reporting obligations.
- Represented an international hotel group in connection with the sale of several hotel and resort properties.
- Represented a private equity firm in connection with debt and equity investments in a hotel and residential development in Mexico.
- Represented a privately held manufacturer of medical products in connection with several strategic acquisitions.
- Advised a large, international media enterprise on strategic acquisitions of US-based post-production companies.
- Represented a theatrical, television and digital film distribution group in its acquisition by a strategic buyer.
- Represented an international hotel group in structuring and negotiating a multi-layered joint venture arrangement for a unique hotel concept, and in raising capital for the venture.
- Represented a division specializing in the development of software for the design and analysis of electronic systems in its spin-off from a publicly held product design software firm.
- Represented an electronics engineering firm in connection with a joint venture for the development of integrated circuits.
- Represented an international hotel group in structuring and negotiating joint venture agreements for hotels in Colorado and Mexico.
- Resolved a dispute among partners in a Mexico hotel project involving cross-border documents and the enforcement of buy-sell provisions of the related joint venture agreement.
- Represented a publicly held company in connection with a PIPE offering to private equity funds.
- Represented a large, privately held company in connection with a nationwide stock offering to employees.
- Represented a manufacturer of specialized wheel chairs in its acquisition by a publicly held manufacturer of healthcare products.
- Represented a regional investment banking firm in its acquisition of a retail stock brokerage business.
- Represented a dietary supplement manufacturer in connection with a private equity investment.
- Represented an allergy drug developer in its consolidation with several related biotechnology companies.
- Represented a manufacturer of medical devices in connection with a series of venture capital investments.
- Represented an automobile parts remanufacturer in its acquisition by a private equity fund and in a series of subsequent strategic acquisitions.
- Represented a residential real estate brokerage firm in its acquisition by a strategic buyer.
- Represented a website development firm in its acquisition by a publicly held strategic buyer.
- Represented a fast food franchisor in its acquisition by an international food conglomerate.
- Represented a manufacturer of data acquisition and signal analysis products in its acquisition by a publicly held strategic buyer.
- Represented an automobile parts manufacturer in connection with a nationwide product distribution platform.
- Represented a luxury bathroom fixture manufacturer in its acquisition by a publicly held strategic buyer.
Professional Affiliations and Recognitions
- Member, State Bar of California
- Member, Foreign Trade Association
- Former Member of the Executive Committee, Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Former Member, State Bar of California Business Law Section Education Committee
- Former Managing Editor, The Business Law News
- Former Editor, The Business Law Update