David Harrell is Co-Chair of the Firm's Litigation Department and chairs the Firm's International Arbitration practice group. He has extensive first and second-chair trial and arbitration experience in the areas of energy litigation, commercial litigation and land use/permitting litigation. David's energy litigation experience includes representations of operators, producers, transporters, marketers and royalty owners. He has litigated contract disputes, royalty disputes, environmental claims, throughput and processing claims, and permitting claims, both onshore and offshore.
His commercial litigation resume includes representations of plaintiffs and defendants in contract disputes, fiduciary relations issues, usury claims, real estate litigation, fraud, securities collection, deceptive trade practices, Lanham Act and first party insurance defense.
In the areas of land use and permitting, David has represented landowners, operators and permit applicants in land use, permitting and zoning situations. He has appeared before city councils, zoning boards, and administration agencies on behalf of clients, and he has represented clients in litigation against state agencies, municipalities and municipal boards.
- IQ Products Co. v. Pennzoil Products Co., 305 F.3d 368 (5th Cir. 2002) (Lanham Act)
- Dinger v. Hornbeck Offshore Servs., Inc., 968 F. Supp. 1185 (S.D. Tex. 1997) (admiralty)
- TH Investments, Inc. v. Kirby Inland Marine, L.P., 218 S.W.3d 173, (Tex.App.--Houston [14th Dist.] 2007, pet. filed) (ownership of submerged property)
- H2 Genesis L.P. v. Cederquist, 2005 WL 1771922, (Tex.App.-Houston. [14 Dist.] 2005, no writ) (special appearance)
- Radiator Specialty Co. v. Pennzoil-Quaker State Co., 207 Fed.Appx. 361, (5th Cir. 2004) (Lanham Act)
- In re Ray Bailey Architects, Inc., 2004 WL 115119, (Tex.App.-Houston. [14th Dist.] 2004, no pet) (discovery rulings)
Professional Affiliations and Recognitions
- Member, Texas Bar Foundation
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Section of Litigation (1995-Present)
- Business Law Section (1997-Present; current Chair; past Chair of Litigation Committee)
- Oil, Gas and Energy Law Section (2004-Present)
- International Law Section (2007-Present)
- Member, American Bar Association
- Litigation Section
- International Section
- Member, Houston Bar Association
- Member, Houston International Arbitration Club, Inc.
- Member, Texas Young Lawyers Association
- Named, Texas Super Lawyer, Texas Monthly Magazine (2012-2019)
- Named, The Best Lawyers in America - Best Lawyers for Arbitration, Commercial Litigation (2020)
- Adjunct Professor, University of Houston Law Center, “International Arbitration Advocacy”
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Local Advisory Board, Cenikor Foundation