Elizabeth Guffy has over 30 years of experience in all areas of bankruptcy and finance law. Elizabeth regularly counsels corporate clients in bankruptcy exposure and risk, and has represented secured and unsecured creditors in Chapter 11 cases. A significant part of her practice is energy-related. She has represented foreign and domestic energy companies, both as creditors and as debtors. She has presided over the liquidation of oil and gas companies, advised power companies in credit exposure on failure of counterparties, analyzed gas and power trading transactions under master agreements, and represented foreign energy clients in insolvency matters. Elizabeth also regularly represents clients in bankruptcy-related litigation and mediation, including both defending and prosecuting claim objections and avoidance actions, in addition to filing and prosecuting involuntary bankruptcy petitions. She also represents clients in commercial litigation matters in bankruptcy court as well as handling appeals in numerous courts, from bankruptcy court to district and circuit courts. Elizabeth also frequently serves as an appointed trustee in chapter 11 cases.
Representative ExperienceSome of her engagements and representations include:
- Special counsel to chapter 7 trustee for Bluewater Industries, L.P. in connection with warranty claims against manufacturer of undersea umbilical
- Counsel to numerous purchasers of assets from chapter 11 estates, including both the negotiation of the proposed sale terms and enforcement of rights arising from a successful acquisition
- Lead counsel in the chapter 11 cases of Rotary Drilling Tools, LLC and its affiliates
- Chapter 11 trustee and plan agent for Brown Medical Center, Inc., a multi-million dollar medical management company
- Counsel to the Unsecured Creditors Committee in University General Health Systems, et al., a Houston-based private hospital and its affiliates
- Bankruptcy counsel to White Oak Resources VI, LLC in the acquisition of substantially all of the assets of Milagro Oil & Gas, Inc. through a prepackaged chapter 11 filing
- Chapter 11 and chapter 7 trustee for Amerejuve, Inc.
- Counsel to the Unsecured Creditors Committee and litigation trustee for HII Technologies, Inc., et al., an oilfield services company and its affiliates
- Counsel to liquidating trustee for Buccaneer Resources, LLC, et al., a group of oil and gas exploration and development companies
- Counsel to Official Committee of Equity Securities Holders for Luca International Group, LLC, et al., an oil and gas company and its affiliates involved in alleged securities laws violations
- Examiner for TMT Procurement Corporation, et al., an international shipping company and its affiliates
- Counsel to Unsecured Creditors Committee for Apex Long-Term Acute Care – Katy, L.P.
- Counsel to general contractor for ongoing construction of critical offshore pipeline in chapter 11 case filed by ATP Oil & Gas Corporation
- Chapter 11 trustee for Service Stop, L.P.
- Chapter 11 trustee for Turnkey E&P Corporation
- Special counsel to American Business Financial Services, a residential mortgage securitization company, in connection with the sale of its mortgage servicing platform
- Counsel to various aircraft lessors in chapter 11 filings by United Airlines and Delta Airlines
Professional Affiliations and Recognitions
- State Bar of Texas Bankruptcy Law Section – former secretary and historian; recipient of the Robert B. Wilson Distinguished Service Award
- International Women’s Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation
- Former Articles Editor, Houston Law Review