Karen Grande has concentrated her practice in the area of revenue bonds and general obligation bonds, and regularly handles state law issues relating to the issuance of bonds.
Karen represents government agencies and instrumentalities and has substantial experience working with first-time issuers. She often counsels clients with unusual problems and special situations, and provides broad-based municipal law advice to municipal clients relating to application and amendment of their charters and the drafting and passage of legislation. Most recently, she has developed experience relating to finances of distressed communities, focusing on powers of municipalities in proceedings under Chapter 9 of the United States Bankruptcy Code.
Karen has served as bond counsel to cities and towns as well as to many state, regional and municipal agencies which finance public projects including school projects, student loans, health care facilities, public water supply and wastewater projects, recreational facilities and economic development projects.
Karen is a Regular Fellow of the American College of Bond Counsel (ACBC) and the sole fellow of ACBC in RI. She has been named the Best Lawyers' 2015 and 2021 Providence Public Finance "Lawyer of the Year." She has also been listed in both The Best Lawyers in America® in the area of Public Finance Law as well as a Rhode Island Super Lawyer by Thomson Reuters.
Prior to joining the Firm's Public Finance Group, Karen spent 18 years in the public finance group at another Rhode Island law firm.
- Served as counsel in precedent-setting Central Falls Chapter 9 Bankruptcy
- Serves as counsel advising institutions of higher education and health care providers on bond financings for educational and health care facilities.
- Serves as underwriter's counsel to various investment banking firms, both locally and in New York.
- Developed a wealth of experience on wastewater issues, having served as bond counsel for sewer utility financings and as borrower's counsel to various cities and towns in connection with wastewater financings.
- Has worked with public water supply systems on infrastructure projects for safe drinking water.
- Provides advice and renders opinions in connection with the issuance of general obligation bonds by governmental issuers at all levels and has significant experience advising governmental entities regarding creative financing solutions.
Professional Affiliations and Recognitions
- Elected, Regular Fellow of the American College of Bond Counsel (ACBC)
- Member, National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Member, Rhode Island Government Finance Officers Association
- Member, Rhode Island Bar Association
- Member, Rhode Island Bar Foundation Fellow