Brendan Gaffney focuses his practice on white collar criminal defense and internal investigations, representing individuals and public and private entities, including large fortune 500 companies, financial institutions, small privately-held companies, partnerships, and governmental entities. He has experience conducting internal investigations on behalf of public and private entities involving various allegations of financial fraud, mail/wire fraud, health care fraud, bribery (including FCPA), theft of company funds, securities violations and other issues. He also has extensive experience investigating compliance issues and allegations of employer policy violations, including discrimination, harassment, bullying, and misuse of funds.
He also has represented entities and individuals in connection with civil, criminal, and regulatory investigations conducted by state and federal agencies involving a wide array of alleged wrongdoing including bank fraud, health care fraud, securities fraud, bribery, campaign finance violations, public corruption, violations of state and federal Anti-Kickback Statutes, and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. This experience extends to representing individuals under federal criminal indictment, negotiating plea agreements, and representing individuals through criminal sentencing.
Brendan is also an experienced civil litigator with extensive experience drafting motions, taking and defending depositions, and arguing hearings. Brendan’s civil litigation experience involves representing companies and individuals in litigation in state and federal court, including defending False Claims Act cases in which the United States has intervened.
- Represent individual in connection with criminal investigation by Department of Justice into allegations of violations of the Sherman Antitrust Act
- Conducted internal investigation on behalf of a public healthcare company upon the executive’s indictment for criminal securities fraud
- Guided a large non-profit health care provider through the HHS-OIG Self-Disclsoure Protocol and achieved optimal settlement for potential violations of the Civil Monetary Penalties Law
- Defended former bank officer under indictment for making false statements to a bank, resulting in a plea to a lesser offense with a sentence of probation
- Defended public ambulance authority in False Claims Act case, in which the United States and the State of Oklahoma intervened, involving allegations of violations of the federal and Oklahoma versions of the Anti-Kickback Statute, resulting in a settlement far below the expense of a trial
- On behalf of major international technology company, conducted an internal investigation following the execution of a FBI search warrant on the company’s premises and an employee
- On behalf of a large accounting firm, conducted an internal investigation into a principal’s financial fraud, culminating in a criminal conviction of the principal after referral to the United States Attorney’s Office
- On behalf of a transportation company, conducted an internal investigation into an officer’s embezzlement of company funds. culminating in a criminal conviction of the officer after referral to the United States Attorney’s Office
- Conducted internal investigations into a wide array of allegations of discrimination and harassment on behalf of a public school district and police department
- Represented individuals and corporations in connection with federal investigations into political contributions and potential campaign finance violations
- Represented multiple individuals as witnesses in investigations by federal law enforcement
- Represented multiple individuals and entities as subjects and targets in federal criminal investigations, including at the post-indictment stage
- Associate, Locke Lord LLP
- Teacher, Osbourn Park High School, Manassas, Virginia (2004-2007)
Professional Affiliations and Recognitions
- Member, Dallas Bar Association
- Member, Dallas Association of Young Lawyers
- Member, American Bar Association