Christopher M. Flanagan is a partner in the Tax Group of our Boston office. His general corporate and partnership tax practice focuses on tax planning and analysis in the transactional area. He has particular experience in representing public and private companies in taxable and tax-free acquisitions and divestitures of corporate subsidiaries and divisions, and in reorganizations and restructurings. Chris also represents companies in the structuring and formation of major corporate joint ventures, limited liability companies, and large venture capital/private equity funds, as well as advising companies on the tax issues attendant to both public and private debt and equity offerings.
Chris also has extensive experience in the taxation of insurance companies and insurance products, and works extensively with the Insurance and Reinsurance Department on both transactions involving the acquisition and divestiture of insurance companies and the structuring of insurance related investments. Chris also has experience in the creation and taxation of captive insurance arrangements, and has authored articles on the topic.
Chris is also a former chair of the Tax Section of the Boston Bar Association. In addition to his law degree, he has an LL.M in Taxation. Chris has been recognized as a Leader in the field of Tax Law by Chambers USA in each of the years 2007 through 2019. He has also been listed in the Tax Law section of the Best Lawyers in America publication since 2013.
Chris worked in New York City in the tax groups of both a major public accounting and a law firm. Chris was also a partner in Palmer & Dodge LLP, one of the constituent firms of Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP. Most recently, Chris was a partner in the tax department of another Boston law firm.
- Advised both public and private companies in both taxable and tax-free corporate acquisitions and divestitures.
- Assisted numerous venture capital, private equity, and hedge funds in organizing new funds and making investments in portfolio companies.
- Assisted companies and individuals with the formation of and investment in joint ventures conducting both investment activities and business operations, as well as the acquisitions and divestitures of such entities.
- Advised companies on general tax and reporting issues related to their transactions.
Professional Affiliations and Recognitions
- Member, American Bar Association, Section of Taxation
- Member, Boston Bar Association, Section of Taxation