John Emmanuel practices insurance regulatory and general corporate law. He represents clients from all sectors of the financial services industry and has represented clients with respect to administrative matters before state insurance departments. He advises property and casualty and life and health insurance companies with regard to regulatory and compliance matters, including formation, company licensing, holding company act requirements, affiliate transactions, restructurings, advertising, producer agreements and compensation and, rate and forms filings. John represents insurance agents, brokers, surplus lines brokers, reinsurance intermediaries and third party administrators with respect to licensing and compliance issues. John represents insurers with respect to mergers and acquisitions. John also represents surplus lines insurers, captives and risk retention and risk purchasing groups on regulatory and compliance issues. John also advises financial institutions with regard to the sale of insurance and annuity products.
While in law school, John was an Editor of the Annual Review of Banking Law at Boston University.
- John has advised clients in connection with the merger and acquisition of insurance companies and insurance agencies.
- John has counseled insurance companies on holding company act compliance including affiliate transactions, annual registration filings and payment of dividends.
- Insurance companies have turned to John in connection with securing insurance licenses and license amendments in all U.S. jurisdictions.
- John actively represents clients before state insurance departments in connection with market conduct examination issues and investigations.
- John has counseled insurance company clients with respect to redomestication name changes, and acquisition notice requirements.
- John has assisted clients in obtaining rate and form filing approvals for property and casualty and life and health products in all U.S. jurisdictions.
- John has advised agents and brokers on formation, licensing and compensation and disclosure issues.
- John has formed and obtained necessary approvals to transact business for surplus lines insurance company clients and provided advice on compliance with surplus lines placement requirements and restrictions.
- He has worked closely with insurance companies in the development of Privacy and Anti-Money Laundering compliance programs.
- John secured the necessary insurance regulatory approvals necessary for the merger of two bank holding companies, which included the acquisition of two insurance companies and an insurance agency.
- He has advised insurance companies, insurance agencies and financial institutions in the development and implementation of bank insurance sales programs and regarding lender-placed insurance.
- Additionally, John assisted in the formation of a joint venture between a financial institution and insurance agency for the sale of insurance products through the bank.
Professional Affiliations and Recognitions
- Member, Connecticut Bar Association
- Member, New York State Bar Association