Elizabeth K. Duffy is an attorney practicing in the Firm's litigation group. Elizabeth has focused her practice on complex business and financial services litigation. She regularly represents the nation's largest consumer financial services companies, including banks and mortgage servicers, in class actions, civil enforcement actions and individual actions in state and federal court. Elizabeth has significant experience defending lawsuits arising under consumer protection laws, state and federal unfair competition and business practices laws, and lending, debt collection, and credit reporting statutes and regulations. She also has advised clients on regulatory compliance matters in the consumer lending industry, assisting mortgage servicers in reviewing policies and procedures and making recommendations to ensure compliance with frequently changing laws, regulations and civil enforcement settlement requirements.
In addition to her consumer finance practice, she has significant experience defending clients in a wide range of other disputes, including securities litigation and lawsuits involving defamation, breach of contract, fraud, and breach of fiduciary duty claims.
Elizabeth has trial, arbitration and mediation experience. She regularly appears before courts throughout the state to represent clients' interests.
- Representation of loan servicers in lawsuits initiated by state enforcement agencies concerning alleged violations of federal and state consumer protection laws.
- Representation of mortgage servicer and related companies in action brought by residual investors in mortgage-backed securities seeking alleged damages approaching $1 billion.
- Representation of loan servicers in putative class actions regarding securitization of home loans.
- Representation of bank in putative class action challenging fees charged during bankruptcy proceedings.
- Repeated representation of consumer finance companies in disputes relating to the Truth-In-Lending Act, the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and other federal and state consumer statutes.
- Representation of charitable organization in breach of contract dispute concerning management and investment of donations.
- Representation of provider of consumer services in lawsuit involving claims of violations of anti-competition laws, business disparagement, unfair competition and improper sales tactics.
- Repeated representation of information services provider in lawsuits involving claims of defamation, libel and fraud.