Michael Conroy advises individuals and private and public companies in all aspects of tax planning for business and investment activities. He concentrates his practice on the tax aspects of private equity acquisitions and dispositions, the formation of investment funds, mergers and acquisitions, partnership and corporate restructurings and the preparation of tax disclosure materials in private and public offerings of securities.
In addition, Michael advises master limited partnerships on "qualifying income" matters, including through the filing of private letter ruling requests with the Internal Revenue Service. Michael also represents businesses and individuals on tax controversy matters before the Internal Revenue Service and state taxing authorities.
Prior to attending law school, Michael taught high school math in the Rice and Duck Capital of the World (also known as Stuttgart, Arkansas). Before teaching, Michael received his Bachelor's Degree in psychology from Tufts University where he was a member of the rowing team. Michael raced internationally in Canada, the United Kingdom and the Netherlands.
Michael is currently working towards his LL.M in taxation at the Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law.
Michael's representative experience includes:
- Assisted in the representation of Melody Investment Advisors LP in connection with the acquisition of 90% of Uniti Towers, the wireless tower business of real estate investment trust Uniti Group Inc. (NASDAQ: UNIT), for approximately $220 million in cash
- Assisted in the representation of SORL Auto Parts, Inc., a public company listed on the NASDAQ, in its going private transaction
- Assisted in the representation of Lamar Advertising in a $400 million high-yield bond transaction
- Assisted in the representation of Lamar Advertising on an amendment to its $175 million accounts receivable securitization program
- Assisted in the representation of EnCap Flatrock Midstream in an initial capital commitment of $500 million to Tatanka Midstream, LLC, an independent energy company focused on acquiring and building midstream assets in North America
- Assisted in the representation of the management team of M6 Midstream LLC in equity commitments from management, Yorktown Energy Partners, GSO Capital, Ridgemont Equity Partners, Bengas Midstream and Martin Sustainable Resources
- Assisted in the representation of Cable One, Inc., in the sale of 115 telecommunications towers and other related property interests to CTI Towers, Inc.
- Assisted in the representation of Hastings Equity Partners and Specialty Welding and Turnaround Services, LLC (SWAT), in the sale of a majority ownership interest in SWAT to ORIX Capital Partners
- Assisted in the representation of an affiliate of Nautic Partners, LLC, in its investment in AKAM Living Services, Inc., and in its new partnership with AKAM management
- Represented the management team of Trace Midstream in its combination with Gemini Midstream
- Represented RISC Networks, an industry leader in cloud, data center and network operations analytics, in the company's acquisition by Flexera
- Advised various private equity funds in acquisitions, investments and dispositions in transactions ranging from $5 million to $900 million
- Advised various venture capital, private equity and hedge funds in organizing new funds and on restructuring existing portfolio companies
- Advised investment funds in navigating publicly traded partnership concerns
- Drafted various partnership agreements and private placement memorandums for U.S. and foreign-based funds
- Represented family office in restructuring of investment funds and $100 million credit facility
- Represented various portfolio companies and management groups in equity raising transactions ranging from several million to several hundred million dollars
- Represented a real estate investment company in its joint venture agreements involving projects throughout the United States
- Represented various publicly traded entities in debt and equity securities offerings
- Assisted companies and individuals with the formation of and investment in joint ventures conducting both investment activities and business operations as well as the acquisitions and divestitures of such entities
- Represented a number of master limited partnerships for asset acquisitions and dispositions, equity and debt offerings, qualifying income tax opinions and private letter ruling requests
- Represented taxpayers (business and individuals) in significant dollar value tax disputes involving the Internal Revenue Service, California Franchise Tax Board and Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts, among others
- Intern, Judge O. Rogeriee Thompson, U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- High School Math Teacher, Stuttgart, Arkansas, Teach For America
- Member, Auxiliary Board of Teach For America – Chicago/Northwest Indiana