Michael Conroy advises individuals and private and public companies in all aspects of tax planning for business and investment activities. He concentrates his practice on the tax aspects of private equity acquisitions and dispositions, the formation of investment funds, mergers and acquisitions, partnership and corporate restructurings, and the preparation of tax disclosure materials in private and public offerings of securities. In addition, Michael advises master limited partnerships on “qualifying income” matters, including through the filing of private letter ruling requests with the Internal Revenue Service. Michael also represents businesses and individuals on tax controversy matters before the Internal Revenue Service and state taxing authorities.
Michael graduated with High Distinction from the University of Iowa College of Law and was invited to join the Order of the Coif. In law school, Michael was an oralist on the Jessup International Moot Court Team and a contributing editor on the Iowa Law Review. His Note, Clash of Titans: Groupon vs. The Model Rules of Professional Conduct, was published in Volume 99 of the Iowa Law Review. He also interned in the chambers of Judge O. Rogeriee Thompson on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit.
Prior to attending law school, Michael taught high school math in the Rice and Duck Capital of the World (also known as Stuttgart, Arkansas). Before teaching, Michael received his Bachelor’s Degree in psychology from Tufts University where he was a member of the rowing team. Michael raced internationally in Canada, the United Kingdom, and the Netherlands.
Michael is currently working towards is LL.M in taxation at the Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law.
- Represented RISC Networks, an industry leader in cloud, data center and network operations analytics, in the company’s acquisition by Flexera
- Advised various private equity funds in acquisitions, investments, and dispositions in transactions ranging from $5 million to $900 million
- Advised various venture capital, private equity, and hedge funds in organizing new funds and on restructuring existing portfolio companies
- Advised investment funds in navigating publicly traded partnership concerns
- Drafted various partnership agreements and private placement memorandums for U.S. and foreign based funds
- Represented family office in restructuring of investment funds and $100M credit facility
- Represented various portfolio companies and management groups in equity raising transactions ranging from several million to several hundred million dollars
- Represented a real estate investment company in its joint venture agreements involving projects throughout the United States
- Represented various publicly traded entities in debt and equity securities offerings
- Assisted companies and individuals with the formation of and investment in joint ventures conducting both investment activities and business operations, as well as the acquisitions and divestitures of such entities
- Represented a number of master limited partnerships for asset acquisitions and dispositions, equity and debt offerings, and qualifying income tax opinions, and private letter ruling requests
- Represented taxpayers (business and individuals) in significant dollar value tax disputes involving the Internal Revenue Service, the California Franchise Tax Board, and the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts, among others
- Member, Auxiliary Board of Teach For America – Chicago/Northwest Indiana