Margaret Comey is Senior Counsel in the Public Finance Group of Locke Lord LLP where she has vast experience serving as bond counsel, issuer’s counsel and underwriter’s counsel for tax exempt and taxable debt financings. She has been lead counsel for local government issues including new issues and refundings for municipalities, counties, townships, special districts and authorities issuing general obligation, special obligation, revenue and mortgage revenue debt instruments. She has served as underwriters’ counsel for local government, convention center and healthcare facilities financings. Her experience also includes tax increment financing, industrial and economic development, due diligence and disclosure.
Margaret's corporate finance experience includes public offerings and private placements, Securities Exchange Act of 1934 matters, due diligence and disclosure, and transactions involving closely held corporations.
She has served as counsel on financings aggregating nearly US $3.5 billion.
AV-rated by Martindale-Hubbell, Margaret has served on the National Advisory Council to the Governmental Accounting Standards Board and the Hamilton County Tax Levy Review Committee. Margaret is a member of the National Association of Bond Lawyers and the Cincinnati Bar Association, the Ohio Economic Development Association (OEDA), the Ohio Township Association and its Law Director Network, and the Ohio Government Finance Officers Association and various regional chapters of GFOA. She works with OEDA’s Legislative & Public Policy Committee and Economic Development Summit Committee, and is involved with the Ohio Financing Roundtable of the Ohio Council of Development Finance Agencies (CDFA).
Margaret is a member and past president of the Women’s Capital Club of Cincinnati and serves on the Board of Trustees of Hospice of Cincinnati. She has served on the Board of Trustees of The Seven Hills School, United Home Care/Visiting Nurse Association, Children’s Protective Service and Queen City Foundation, and their committees for finance, investment and strategic planning.
- Serving as bond counsel for and structuring a convention center financing
- Serving as bond counsel on municipal utility revenue financings, including water, wastewater and electric utility revenue issues
- Serving as bond counsel on local government infrastructure transactions
- Serving as underwriters’ counsel for a major convention center facilities authority refunding transaction
- Providing counsel on economic development transactions, utilizing tax increment financing, CRAs and other economic development tools
- Serving as underwriters’ counsel on major hospital financings
- Providing counsel to clients on matters of disclosure and continuing disclosure
- Participating in debt and equity offerings for an energy company and other public corporations
- Participating in project finance and transactional work for public and private companies