Jamie M. Cheng is an associate in the Los Angeles office of Locke Lord LLP. Her practice is focused on business and commercial arbitration, litigation in state and federal court, and dispute resolution. Jamie has particular experience in consumer litigation, class actions, products liability, oil and gas, insurance, and intellectual property. Jamie also works on in cross-border and international disputes, including service of process under the Hague Service Convention and venue and personal jurisdiction issues.
Jamie has extensive experience litigating and resolving disputes at all stages, from pre-suit through trial and appeal. She has significant in-court experience, including oral arguments and examining fact and expert witnesses at trial. She has taken and defended a number of fact and expert witness depositions, as well as prepared client and experts for testimony at depositions and trial. Jamie is always cognizant of clients’ business priorities and objectives and advises clients on the costs and benefits throughout the dispute resolution process, including mediation and alternative dispute resolution procedures.
Jamie is fluent in Cantonese and Mandarin, which she uses to advise overseas clients and to contribute to local communities. Prior to law school, Jamie worked for the Asian Language Legal Intake Project at Asian Americans Advancing Justice – LA. During law school, through the Hastings Appellate Project, she represented an asylum applicant before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals pro bono and obtained a remand for the client. She currently continues to volunteer at the Asian Pacific American Bar Association legal clinic. She is passionate about mentoring and training the next generation of legal professionals and mentors pre-law students at UCLA.
Consumer & Products Liability Litigation
- Defend actions and claims under Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act, Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, Consumer Legal Remedies Act (CLRA), consumer fraud, California Unfair Competition Law (UCL), and Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA).
- Defend national retailer in a putative class action alleging that aloe vera gel sold by retailer does not contain detectable aloe vera
- Defend manufacturers and retailers in product liability and personal injury actions, including defending leading U.S. home improvement products retailer against claimed design and labeling defects in a tire, defending leading European bicycle builder against claimed manufacturing defects in a bicycle, and skincare company against premises liability action
- Defend multinational consumer electronics manufacturer against alleged breach of patent licensing agreement
- Assist in defending international clients in patent infringement litigation in consumer products
- Defend fashion and accessories retailer in purported copyright infringement claim
- Represent insurer in interpleader actions regarding dispute of entitlement to benefits under annuity contracts
- Lead attorney defending managed care health plan in arbitrations over disputes with providers
- Defend workers compensation insurer in insurance litigation matters against claims for breach of contract and breach of indemnity agreement, including drafting and filing a motion for summary judgment
Oil and Gas and Energy
- Lead associate in defending oil and gas producer in breach of contract claim over abandonment of oil wells from pleadings stage through five-week jury trial
- Advise overseas oil and gas operator regarding contract disputes and settlement over payment provisions
Commercial and Other Disputes
- Lead associate representing municipal corporation in municipal and state entity litigation, including under the Public Records Act, False Claims Act, and California Taxpayers’ Suits.
- Represent retail financial services provider in pursuing temporary restraining order in connection with beach of commercial lease agreements
- Represent clients in responding to subpoenas in state court and arbitration, including defending motions to compel
- Extern, United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- Extern, Federal Trade Commission
Professional Affiliations and Recognitions
- Member, Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Los Angeles County
- Member, National Asian Pacific American Bar Association