Christopher Capelli practices in all aspects of patent prosecution and IP transactional activities and strategic intellectual property counseling. He has extensive experience as a corporate executive managing large global IP organizations and IP portfolios. These experiences extend to a wide range of industries including computer hardware and software, telecommunications (LTE, GSM, UMTS and CDMA), computing networks (LAN, WAN, 802.11 and MESH), electromechanical devices, medical instrumentation, internet applications and consumer marketing. As a seasoned intellectual property attorney, Chris has instituted best practices across all areas of the IP spectrum: from patent preparation and prosecution, licensing, assessing and negotiating mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, opinions and other IP-centric transactions, to evaluating and managing IP litigation, and advising executive management and corporate boards. Chris has also provided intellectual property education and training to technical staff and has aided clients in achieving quality-to-cost efficiencies, all with the goal of maximizing the value of corporate clients' IP assets.
Prior to joining the Firm, Chris was Chief Patent Counsel for MeadWestvaco Corporation, the world's largest packaging company and leading office products, paper manufacturer and specialty chemical companies. He has also been Associate General Counsel Pitney Bowes Inc., the world's largest and leading postal services company. Chris began his career and passion for intellectual property law at Darby & Darby.
- Assisted in negotiating and structuring numerous patent litigation matters including a $400M settlement.
- Managed a global IP portfolio for a Fortune 500 company consisting of over 6,000 patents and trademarks.
- Piloted licensing programs for IP portfolios resulting in significant revenue and other related opportunities.
- Negotiated and drafted complex transactional agreements, including licensing, merger & acquisition, technology transactions and internet related agreements.
- Has an active prosecution practice and has prepared patent applications directed towards computer hardware and software, telecommunications, electromechanical devices, medical instrumentation, internet applications and consumer products and services.
Professional Affiliations and Recognitions
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member, NY Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member, Federal Circuit Bar Association