David Bogan’s practice encompasses all aspects of public utility regulation before state administrative agencies and state and federal courts, and he advises some of the nation’s largest energy, cable, telecommunications and water companies on regulatory issues and acquisitions. David has served as counsel to some of the largest energy companies in connection with their acquisitions, and appears before various state commissions on energy and communications matters. He has experience in water receivership and transfer proceedings, telecommunications certification proceedings, and electric, gas, water and telecommunications rate proceedings. David has appeared before the Connecticut Supreme Court and frequently appears before the Connecticut General Assembly on utility-related issues.
Before joining Locke Lord, David chaired the Utilities Group from the Hartford office of Robinson & Cole. He has deep ties to Connecticut, launching his legal career as a staff attorney for the Connecticut Public Utilities Regulatory Authority before moving to the Connecticut Office of Consumer Counsel.
- Counsel to Heritage Village Water Company in connection with its sale to Connecticut Water Service, Inc.
- Counsel to Atlantic Broadband in connection with its acquisition of MetroCast Communication of Connecticut, Inc.
- Regulatory counsel to United Water Connecticut, United Water New York, and United Water Arkansas in connection with rate proceedings and sale of assets
- Counsel to AquaSource Utility, Inc. in connection with its acquisition of Eastern Connecticut Regional Water Company
- Counsel to Eastern Connecticut Regional Water Company in connection with Connecticut Department of Public Utility Control determination of purchase price for assets located in the Towns of Durham and Middlefield, Connecticut
- Counsel to AquaSource Utility, Inc. in connection with sale of Connecticut assets to Philadelphia Suburban Corporation
- Represented Dominion Resources, Inc., including counsel for its acquisition of the Millstone Power Station in Waterford, Connecticut for $3.2 billion
- Represented FPL Group, Inc. in connection with its acquisition of the Seabrook Station nuclear facility in New Hampshire for $836 million
- Represented GdF Suez in connection with its acquisition of FirstLight Power Resources, Inc.
- Represented FirstLight Power Resources in connection with its construction of a 96 MW electric generating facility in Waterbury, Connecticut
- Principal Connecticut regulatory counsel to Verizon Wireless and its predecessors (1992-2012)
- Principal Connecticut regulatory counsel to Comcast Cable Corporation and Comcast Phone of Connecticut (1996-Present)
- Connecticut regulatory counsel to Comcast in connection with its merger with AT&T Broadband
- Connecticut regulatory counsel to Comcast in connection with the Time Warner/Comcast/Adelphia transaction
- Counsel to the New England Cable and Telecommunications Association, Inc. (NECTA represents all private cable operators in Connecticut and substantially all cable companies in the New England region) on regulatory matters in Connecticut and Massachusetts
- Regulatory counsel to CTIA-The Wireless Association® (CTIA is the international association of the wireless communications industry for both wireless carriers and manufacturers) throughout New England. Membership in the organization covers Commercial Mobile Radio Service providers and manufacturers, including cellular providers such as T-Mobile, Sprint Spectrum L.P. ("Sprint"), / AT&T Mobility, Verizon Wireless, as well as providers and manufacturers of wireless data services and products.
Professional Affiliations and Recognitions
- Chair and Board of Directors, Connecticut Coalition Against Domestic Violence
- Co-Chair New England Chapter Steering Committee, Federal Communications Bar Association
- Executive Committee, Public Utility Section, Connecticut Bar Association (CBA)
- "Big Brother," Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Hampden County (MA), 2014-present
- Board of Directors, Connecticut Bar Foundation, 2000 to 2008
- House of Delegates, CBA, 1996 to 1998, and 2001 to 2003
- Treasurer, CBA, 1995 to 1996
- Board of Trustees, Goodspeed Opera House (2008-2016)
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America since 2010