Kelly Biggins is a Partner in Locke Lord’s Business Litigation department and Insurance and Labor & Employment practice groups. She concentrates her practice on business litigation, insurance litigation and insurance coverage. Kelly has gained experience representing clients in a wide variety of litigation matters in state and federal courts including breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, false advertising, unfair business practices, commercial fraud, aviation and products liability disputes. Kelly’s practice also includes representation of employers in cases involving allegations of employment discrimination and harassment, and unfair competition claims. Kelly further has experience in insurance matters including insurance coverage and bad faith litigation, direct insurance coverage disputes, and interpleader actions.
Kelly’s litigation experience includes all aspects of litigation and arbitration, and encompasses pretrial law and motion matters, discovery and trial preparation.
Kelly is also dedicated to all manner of Firm activities, serving as a member of the firm’s Marketing/Practice Development Committee and Pro Bono Committee. Prior to becoming Partner, Kelly served on the firm-wide Associates Committee and as an Associate Liaison to the Associate Development & Orientation Committee. Kelly also participates in all facets of the Firm’s law school recruiting and the summer associate program for the Los Angeles office.
- Defending a major insurance company in a case involving age discrimination and breach of contract claims brought by former independent contractor who sought over $8 million in compensatory damages in addition to punitive damages. Member of Locke Lord trial team that obtained a defense verdict for the company after multi-week jury trial.
- Defending a major insurance company in a case involving claims of age discrimination, harassment, misclassification of an employee as an independent contractor, violations of California Labor Code, breach of contract and unfair competition. Obtained resolution for client following ruling on demurrer and motion for summary adjudication.
- Defending software development company in commercial litigation matter where complaint asserted breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, conversion and violations of unfair business practices, and plaintiffs sought in excess of $3.5 million plus punitive damages.
- Representing a major insurance company in breach of contract disputes involving recovery of workers compensation premiums and allegations of bad faith claims mishandling.
- Defending companies in product liability and personal injury actions. Examples of this defense work include defending manufacturer of exercise balls in action brought by professional basketball player and NBA franchise for personal injury and contractual damages stemming from claimed defects in exercise ball, and defending distributor of industrial equipment where the plaintiff suffered significant personal injuries in an industrial accident involving a purportedly defective trough and auger.
- Defending London insurer in breach of contract and bad faith dispute regarding denial of benefits under port risk marine insurance policy where plaintiffs sought in excess of $16 million in damages.
- Drafting coverage opinions to London insurers regarding first and third-party claims for coverage.
- Initiating interpleader actions on behalf of domestic insurer regarding dispute of entitlement to benefits under various life insurance policies.
- Drafting memorandum to London insurer regarding California earthquake adjusting standards and training.
Professional Affiliations and Recognitions
- Named, Southern California Rising Star by Super Lawyers (2013-2019)