Lori Basilico has focused her practice in the field of employee benefits and executive compensation since 1988.
Lori represents and advises private and publicly held clients with respect to the design and legal compliance of executive compensation programs, equity-based incentive compensation plans, severance and retention plans, tax-qualified plans, welfare plans, fringe benefit plans and ERISA fiduciary and prohibited transaction issues. She also counsels clients regarding compliance with ERISA, the Internal Revenue Code, COBRA, HIPAA, FMLA and other federal and state laws impacting employee benefit plans.
Lori often counsels venture capital and other private equity funds on the ERISA fiduciary implications associated with pension plan investors. She also assists clients in compliance with Section 16 of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934.
Lori has substantial experience involving compensation and benefits issues associated with mergers and acquisitions, representing both acquiring and selling companies in connection with all types of asset and stock acquisitions and divestitures.
- Assisted a major financial institution with the continuing and "cloning" of employee benefit plans for 3,500 employees of a divested subsidiary
- Counseled privately held ESOP companies on managing ESOP repurchase liability
- Advised a client on ERISA and Code prohibited transaction implications associated with Roth IRAs investing in a limited liability company and the subsequent investment by LLCs in entities owned by Roth IRA owners
- Associate General Counsel, State Street Corporation.
Professional Affiliations and Recognitions
- Named, The Best Lawyers in America for Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law (2020)
- Member, ESOP Association
- Member, International Foundation of Employee Benefits
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Member, New England Employee Benefits Council
- Member, Rhode Island Bar Association
- Member, Rhode Island Benefits Council
- Member, The Smith Club of Rhode Island
- Representative, The Moses Brown School Parents Association
- Past Board Member, The American Lung Association of Rhode Island