Neha Ahuja is an Associate in the Firm’s highly regarded Intellectual Property Department and focuses her practice on non-contentious and commercial IP. Being dual qualified, she has a wealth of knowledge on both English law and Indian law issues advising clients on complex aspects of Intellectual Property Rights in both these jurisdictions.
With 15 years of experience as well as holding a LLM in Corporate & Commercial Law, Neha advises her global client base across an array of industries such as luxury consumer goods, food and beverage, IT, retail, pharma, biotechnology, hospitality, artificial intelligence, aviation and defense, business process outsourcing (BPO) and media, on the adoption, protection, commercialisation and enforcement of trade mark rights.
Building on her experience working across three continents both in private practice and in-house, and capability to handle both contentious and non-contentious matters, Neha actively advises “tech start-ups” who benefit from her global knowledge and her ability to provide pragmatic solutions. Neha also regularly advises media companies on recording agreements and music licensing agreements among other issues and advises artists and authors of creative works on the protection and commercialisation of their intellectual property.
Neha is a member of the Copyright Society of the United States of America, International Chapter and regularly contributes to legal journals on industry relevant legal topics. She is also an appointed member of the Right of Publicity Committee at the International Trademarks Association's (INTA) 2020-2021. Neha is also a member of the Firm’s Diversity & Inclusion Committee.
Neha is dual qualified to practice as a solicitor in England and Wales, and as an advocate before the Indian Courts.
- Advising on the protection and enforcement of intellectual property on the Internet
- Managing trade mark portfolios for leading multinational corporations, involving clearance searches and prosecuting applications in the UK and EU.
- Conducting opposition, revocation and invalidity actions throughout the UK and EU to protect and enforce trade mark portfolios
- Protecting client design portfolios against infringements throughout the UK and EU
- Company name disputes before the Company Names Tribunal
- Drafting license agreements and assignment agreements for the commercialisation of intellectual property rights
- Enforcing intellectual property rights worldwide as well as advising on customs issues especially for luxury goods
- Advising on worldwide protection programmes for high profile brands involving comprehensive strategies in relation to confidentiality and non-disclosure of trade mark applications
- Advising a chain of Indian vegan restaurants in connection with their launch in the UK, including trade mark protection
- Advising one of India's largest BPO companies on its intellectual property rights in the UK and globally
- Advised an international biotech company in a case before the Indian courts involving a claim of copyright in a DNA gene sequence for an agricultural product, and breach of confidentiality of trade secrets
- Advised an international charitable organisation in instituting counterfeit actions for illegal use of their trade mark involving investigations, drafting and filing the suit, organising civil raids and negotiating settlements
- Advised an international consumer goods company in a counterfeit campaign protecting their trade mark involving investigating instances of violations, drafting and filing suits, negotiating with infringers and organising civil raids
- Advised an international apparel and accessories designer in connection with a pioneer case claiming rights over their 'texture' trade mark
- Advised a Indian national computer software development company in a non-literal software infringement and breach of confidentiality case
- Advised an Indian diary company on a suit claiming rights over their trademark, which entailed drafting and filing applications and affidavits
- Advised an Indian Performing Right Society registered under the Copyright Act 1957 in enforcing its 'Public Performance Rights' of its artist members across India through a litigation campaign. This involved investigating instances of violation, negotiating compliance, drafting and filing suits, and general maintenance of the portfolio consisting of over 60 cases
- Associate, Locke Lord (UK) LLP
- Consultant, aacaara IP Consultants (2011-2015)
- Associate, Fieldfisher (2008-2011)
- Manager, Legal, PepsiCo India Pvt Ltd (2006-2007)
- Associate, Anand & Anand Associates (2005-2006)
- Admitted as a Solicitor in England and Wales (2008)
- Qualified to practice law in India (2005)
Professional Affiliations and Recognitions
- Member, Right of Publicity Committee 2020-2021, INTA
- Member, The Copyright Society of the USA (International Chapter)
- Member, INTA
- Member, Intellectual Property and Entertainment Law Committee, IBA
- Member, European Regional Forum, IBA
- Member, Asia Pacific Regional Forum, IBA
- Member, Women Lawyers' Interest Group, IBA
- Member, Bar Council of Delhi (non-practicing)
- Member, Solicitors Regulation Authority