Click here for pdf
August 16, 2013 – Six Locke Lord attorneys have been named 2014 Lawyers of the Year in their specific practice areas by the peer-review legal publication Best Lawyers.
In Dallas, 2014 Lawyers of the Year and their practice areas are George E. Bowles, Litigation - Construction; Stuart M. Bumpas, Non-profit/Charities; and, Paul E. Coggins, Litigation - Regulatory Enforcement (SEC, Telecom, Energy). In Houston, 2014 Lawyers of the Year and their practice areas are: Mark Miller, Derivatives and Futures Law; Ann Ryan Robertson, International Arbitration - Governmental.
Each year, Best Lawyers recognizes one attorney per legal community in high-profile practice areas. They choose designees based on extensive confidential peer surveys, and Lawyers of the Year are singled out for their high ratings in abilities, professionalism and integrity.
Locke Lord's 2014 Best Lawyers of the Year represent a wide range of practice areas and experience:
- George E. Bowles 2014 Dallas Litigation - Construction Lawyer of the Year has been trying cases for over 30 years and has represented both plaintiffs and defendants, individuals and Fortune 100 corporations, during his career in the courtroom. Since 2003, he has been named in Texas Monthly magazine as a Texas Super Lawyer in business litigation and is listed in The Best Lawyers in America in the areas of Bet the Company, Commercial Litigation, Litigation/Construction, Litigation/ Intellectual Property. Mr. Bowles has been a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers since 2004 and was honored in 2013 as a Trial Legend by the Dallas Bar Association's Tort and Insurance Practice Section.
- Stuart M. Bumpas, 2014 Dallas Non-Profit / Charities Law Lawyer of the Year, focuses on employee benefits, tax and nonprofit organizations. A former Assistant to the Commissioner of the Internal Revenue Service, he has substantial experience designing and implementing both tax-qualified and nonqualified retirement plans, representing clients before the Internal Revenue Service and the U.S. Department of Labor. In the nonprofit area, he represents a variety of organizations, including large public charities, private foundations, educational organizations and other tax-exempt entities. For many years, Texas Monthly, D Magazine and Best Lawyers in America have consistently recognized him for his experience in his areas of practice.
- Paul E. Coggins, 2014 Dallas Litigation - Regulatory Enforcement (SEC, Telecom, Energy) Lawyer of the Year, is the head of Locke Lord's national White Collar Criminal Defense and Internal Investigations practice. Coggins was the U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Texas from 1993-2001. He focuses his practice on white collar criminal defense, and has represented numerous Fortune 500 clients in high stakes litigation before federal courts and the SEC. Coggins also has conducted internal investigations involving alleged tax, fraud and securities violations. In addition, he develops compliance and ethics programs for corporations and other business entities. Texas Monthly, D Magazine and Best Lawyers in America have consistently recognized him for his white collar defense practice.
- Mark Miller, 2014 Houston Derivatives and Futures Law Lawyer of the Year, focuses on business transactional matters with an emphasis on the development, financing, operation, management and purchase and sale of energy, industrial and real estate projects. Listed in The Best Lawyers in America for a number of years, he has substantial experience representing purchasers and sellers of power generation facilities and purchasers and sellers of electricity and natural gas in wholesale and retail markets. Miller's experience also includes a broad variety of commercial transaction matters.
- Ann Ryan Robertson, 2014 Houston International Arbitration - Governmental Lawyer of the Year, has over 30 years of experience representing plaintiffs and defendants in a variety of complex commercial disputes, across numerous industries, including oil and gas, banking and finance, insurance, manufacturing and real estate. The recipient of numerous awards and recognitions, she is well-versed in the intricacies of international arbitration and is a member of the U.S. delegation to the NAFTA Advisory Committee on Private Commercial Disputes, a Trustee of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, the immediate Past-Chair of the Executive Committee of the North American Branch Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and a past member of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) Commission on Arbitration. She also has been named to The Best Lawyers in America, International Arbitration/Governmental and is a Member of the well-respected American Law Institute.
Locke Lord consistently ranks among American Lawyer's top 100 U.S. law firms. The Firm's full range of practice and industry areas serve national and international clients from offices in Atlanta, Austin, Chicago, Dallas, Hong Kong, Houston, London, Los Angeles, New Orleans, New York, Sacramento, San Francisco and Washington, D.C. It has an excellent reputation in complex litigation, regulatory and transactional work, with its 650-plus lawyers building collaborative relationships and crafting creative solutions – all designed and executed to meet clients' long-term strategic goals.